What happens to issues when they are released

Scott Ocamb March 18, 2016

What exactly happens to an issue when is is part of a release. Data seems to disappear from the closed column in a Kanban board for example. Is there some sort of field in the database that is updated when an issue is part of a release?

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2016

You enter a release version and all the issues in the done column are stamped with that version.

As the board filter is (usually) set to say "consider anything with a version as release and don't put it on the board", that's how it clears stuff out.

Scott Ocamb March 20, 2016

Sorry, I do not understand your answer. An example may help.

I have a JIRA Version say "2.0.0".

I use the Fix Version field and set a bunch of issues to a fixversion of 2.0,0. 

All of these issues show up in my Kanban Board. Eventually the end up in the "Done" column. All issues appear on the board.

If I perform a "Release" on the version the issues no longer appear on the Kanban Board. I am assuming that some sort of flag is set on those issues to show that they have been "released"

Any further explanation would be helpful.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2016

I'm sorry, I've neglected to explain the version bit.

A version is not just a tag, it has other fields, including release dates and a flag to indicate if it's unreleased, released or archived.

The Kanban release process sets the version on the issues but also sets that version to "released".  The Kanban board filters for "unreleased" versions (and ones with no version set)

So, you're right about the flag, but it's on the version, not the issues.

bthayer January 17, 2018

So just to clarify, is there a way for me to access these issues once they have been released?

Like Marnie L Hutcheson likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2018

Absolutely not.  The board deselects them because of the sub-filter, that's what it's for.  Remember - boards are a VIEW, not a container.

The issues have not moved, just had data added.  They'll show in reports, projects, searches, filters and you can still change them, permissions and workflow allowing.

Like Heather Cross likes this

Suggest an answer