What happens after JIRA Core license expiers but JIRA Software licenses are valid?

Andrzej Stella-Sawicki December 28, 2017

After the evaluation period, I have purchased JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk. Both are supposed to include JIRA Core.

I have applied commercial licenses to JIRA Software and JIRA Service Desk. JIRA Core (0 used) remains trial an will expire soon. 

What is the procedure to continue using JIRA Core features (i.e. process management projects) when JIRA Core trial license eventually expires?

1 answer

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2017

JIRA Software is more of a super-set (with extra Agile functionality) on top of JIRA Core thus if you have applied JIRA software commercial license then you don't need to worry about JIRA core users. From the docs

For licensing: Business users who are not doing any agile or development work can simply leverage JIRA Core licenses. You can buy Core licenses separately. For those who will access both sorts of projects, they have to buy JIRA Software licenses, and cannot simply have Core licenses. JIRA Software users can access both types of projects.

In the application access - <jira-base-url/secure/admin/ApplicationAccess.jspa

Make sure all relevant generic/basic access groups(jira-users) are mapped under "JIRA Software" and that should take care of the permissions.

Thank you. I thought so, just wasn't sure how to proceed with the expiring JIRA Core trial license. Is it safe just to remove it (clear it)? 

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2017

If JIRA Core has 0 users and you have already applied the JIRA software commercial license  then I don't think it should be a problem to remote it.

Removing JIRA Core license didn't impact any existing functionality.

The only thing that has changed is unability to upgrade JIRA Core from 7.5 to 7.6.1. I assume that the upgrade of JIRA Core module will come together with an upgrade of JIRA Software or JIRA Service Desk.

Like wangdanfeng likes this
Hoang Le Minh July 13, 2018

I have same problem. How to resolve it?

Thank you

Suggest an answer