What happened to the "Attach screenshot" feature

Rainer Gibbert August 23, 2015

Last week the feature was still available. Atlassian seems to have updated JIRA and now the feature is gone?! sad

14 answers

7 votes
Anthony Buck August 24, 2015

Hey guys...all set.

It's as simple as ctrl+v (paste) on the issue details page. See below...

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Cloud Support. The error you are running into is actually a new feature that was just released for JIRA cloud. Sorry for the confusion this has caused as the documentation was not updated to reflect this and the new feature was not added to the release summery page.

The attach Image option in the drop-down menu was merged with the attach File option for the browse for file option, and the Past screenshot to a ticket was added to the issue View screen directly. This is intended to reduce the number of steps necessary to attach screenshots to a page.

The steps are now:
Attaching a Screenshot via File picker:

• More
  • Attach File
  • Select save image

Attaching Screenshot from clipboard:

• Take Screenshot in clipboard:
    • MAC: Control + Command + Shift (3 or 4) to take screenshot
    • Windows: Print Screen or ALT + Print Screen to take screenshot
  • Use paste directly on issue view screen:
    • MAC: Command + V
    • Windows: CTRL + V

Additionally I am Working on updating the Documentation now to reflect this new feature, and again sorry for the confusion this has caused.

Regards,
Earl

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2015

Additional Note to the Above comment, the documentation has been updated to reflect the changes: - https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACLOUD/Attaching+a+Screenshot

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2015

Also Please be aware of the following - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44946

justin_qgenda August 24, 2015

Thanks @Earl McCutcheon. I have submitted a separate request to restore the ability to attach screenshots from a Kanban or Scrum board, which is not possible under the new functionality. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44954

angeline delwart August 25, 2015

Not really working here - I use the "basic" Jira in the cloud and if opening it in Edge (Windows10) just CTRL+V will not paste the snapshot (taken with snipping tool) in the ticket and if I click on "add file" I need to save it locally first. The "attach screenshot feature used to allow me to attach snapshots taken with the snipping tools without having to save them locally first (good to avoid cluttering the image folder on the hard drive)

Joanne Blake August 27, 2015

I am still having trouble adding my screenshots. When I mark a task as Done, I should be able to paste a screenshot of the completed edit in the DONE comment box -- but I can't. So I have to Save then add a Comment and paste the screenshot there instead. This results in a second email going out to team members and requires an extra step for me. This is happening in both Kanban and Dashboard mode. Please fix. Likewise, when I Create Issue, I should be able to add screenshots by clicking or dragging into the description or attachment field. I am unable to do either, so have to add a Comment and attach screenshot there instead. Please restore old functionality. I liked it better.

Daniel Lowe August 27, 2015

Joanne, it seems to only work on the main ticket view, any pop-up modals you can't paste into, I agree this could be improved.

4 votes

I was very sad when I saw that the "Attach Screenshot" action/dialog was gone. I understand that you can paste directly in to the issue details screen. However, the paste feature has several disadvantages when compared to the Attach Screenshot dialog...

• You can't paste screenshots from a Scrum or Kanban board view.
    • Previously, I would select the appropriate card, use the '.' hotkey and then type "screen" to quickly pull up the dialog. It was one of my favorite features, and I used it very often.
  • With the paste feature, you have no control over the name given to the attachment. Instead, a random name is assigned, which has nothing to do with the image.

I would understand if the paste feature was added in addition to the "Attach Screenshot" feature, but why was the Attach Screenshot dialog removed? It was, and still would be, a great feature!

Lastly, where is the best place to submit a suggestion to Atlassian to bring back the Attach Screenshot dialog/action?

brad August 24, 2015

Thanks for the feedback Justin. You have a fair point regarding the inability to paste images to issues via the Kanban board, sorry about that! I'll bring this to the attention of the development team involved.

Robert Massaioli _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
August 24, 2015

@Justin Holzer if you want to raise the feature request yourself you can go to jira.atlassian.com and raise it tehre.

Thanks @Robert Massaioli. I've submitted a feature request to restore the ability to attach screenshots from the Kanban and Scrum board views. https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44954

Daniel Lowe August 24, 2015

Not being able to give the screenshots a meaningful name is an issue for us, with 10 screenshots on a ticket it makes things quite disorganised.

Daniel Lowe August 24, 2015

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44958 raised to suggest the ability to name screenshots be re-added

Yodawna Crawford August 28, 2015

I am able to rename attachments again. Thanks ticketing this request!

Tom Baker December 4, 2015

Why should we have to raise a feature request to have them add back in a feature that used to exist? Please just put the More > Attach Screenshot menu back. It's there after you add one screenshot, so why not just have it there all the time?

Tahir Ali August 28, 2016

Ctrl + V feature does not work smoothly at-least the firefox browser. We have to try Ctrl V several times to get the Attach Screenshot dialog to appear. This is very frustrating and resulting in loss of productivity where one user has to attach around 20 images on a daily basis.

Could you please keep the new feature + put the More > Attach Screenshot menu back ?

1 vote
Anthony Buck August 28, 2015

Renaming is now fixed! So is the old feature of "Attach a screenshot" under "More" menu. Thanks guys, quick response!

1 vote
Rainer Gibbert August 28, 2015

Tanks for fixing!

1 vote
Ed Schriger August 24, 2015

It's a lot easier, but not intuitive we can attach a screenshot at any time.

1 vote
Christi Hanks August 24, 2015

Thank you! I think the key was to click somewhere to make sure it was the "active" window. I was just able to add a screenshot.

1 vote

It actually did work from me.

I did the following

1) Took a screenshot of my second monitor with "ctrl + alt + prnt screen"

2) Clicked somewhere on the ticket just to make sure it was the "active" window

3) Did ctrl + v and it pasted it with the name "image - date time stamp"

0 votes
kconti April 18, 2016

Does this work for Firefox?  This only seems to be working in Internet Explorer for me.

Using the latest JIRA software/service desk and only works in Internet Explorer.  Some user's Internet Explorer doesn't even work.

What are the system/browser requirements to use this feature?

Notes - I have disabled pop-up blocker and made sure it is a trusted site.  Still not working.

0 votes
Judy Fearn August 26, 2015

I've found that the ONLY way I can paste in an attachment is to open the ticket, click the attachments area, then paste.  My teams are really missing the ability to attach a screenshot from the Agile board.  This method is more time consuming (and frustrating).

justin_qgenda August 26, 2015

@Judy Fearn I've submitted a feature request to restore the ability to attach screenshots from Agile board views. You should go vote for it! https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44954

0 votes
VN Media Vision August 25, 2015

The new feature is nice, but I must have the auto rename screenshot back.

Now with the new updated version JIRA v7.0.0-OD-02-247, i must save the screenshot with a desired name on my local computer before i can upload it on Jira. This process takes so much more time for me.

I need to have the old feature back, or maybe a mix of both work if possible.

See my comments here

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44958

0 votes
Ralph J August 25, 2015

It is alot easier/faster - but how do we rename the screenshot?  I often reference the screenshots by their name in the ticket....

justin_qgenda August 25, 2015

Currently, you can't. An issue has been raised to allow for renaming attachments: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44958

Daniel Lowe August 25, 2015

someone bet me to it, the above ticket is a duplicate of https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44946

0 votes

Have you tried that? Unfortunately, those instructions did not work for me.

0 votes

We have the same problem unfortunately.

0 votes

I just noticed this as well. I've had 5 emails come in first this this morning about it from staff. We relied on this feature heavily for QA and creating stories. We are on the Cloud version. There was an update this weekend because many of the issue type icons have changed.

I just submitted a ticket for this. I'll keep you posted based on what I hear.

Suggest an answer