What format is the JIRA backup data?

Graham Meaden June 15, 2015

2 answers

1 vote
Arthur Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2015

Hi Graham,

As you can see here, the backup is on .zip format. smile

-- Arthur Gonçalves

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2015

And unzipped, it's xml. It's only really suitable for importing into other JIRA systems. If you're thinking of transferring it into other systems, you *really* need to understand how JIRA works (and bear in mind that it can change, drastically, between versions, even minor releases)

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2015

See the entity model.xml file for the schema of the data. The format is zip and XML but that's like telling me a map is made of paper!

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 15, 2015

For JIRA Cloud (which seems to be your version), the backup file will be a ZIP file with two XML files inside (entities.xml and activeobjects,xml). Also, in case you check the "Attachments" backup as well, you will also see a folder with all attachments inside this ZIP file.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers,
Andre 

Mark van Wijnen January 11, 2019

Both xml's a readable, however is there any information how to decompress the attachments? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2019

They are binary blobs that are effectively .zip files.

Mark van Wijnen January 11, 2019

Thanks for the quick reply. That's what I initiale thought, however that would mean that if I would rename it to .zip it would effectively become a zip file does it not? Since it contains the binary data. When I decompress the attachment after I added the .zip extension this does not work. Do you have any idea why?

Suggest an answer