What exactly is the purpose of Project Categories???

Tudor Hofnar October 31, 2012

I created some Project Categories but can't find a way where they aree of actual use in JIRA, or how they help with anything...

Any examples of these categories are used?

Our structure consists of projects for Development, Services and Support (for now). And under each of those projects we have components which are our Products.

6 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2012

They're for grouping projects together, by however you want to group them (business unit, product, something)

It's not particularly powerful though - you can't hang permissions or schemes off them, they don't flow down on to issues, or get used in greenhopper etc. You can ask, using JQL, "all issues in category X", but that's about it really.

Because they're not a lot of practical use for config, they're not that heavily used anywhere I've been.

Tudor Hofnar October 31, 2012

That's what I was thinking as well. I haven't seen any categories trace down to issues or anywhere else. Basically they can be used in JQL but not for much that matters to us.

Like Rutendo.Dingembira likes this
rafaferreira June 26, 2015

I'm using just to group projects. it's not powerful !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2015

That's what I said.

Like # people like this
jose_castro May 18, 2016

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-4505 Assign schemes at the Project category level

Vote for this I did! It's already being looked at actively by the development team. Please make sure to state your own use cases (provide a real word example). 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Damien September 11, 2019

We use project categories to group projects that share similar purposes, and therefore share issuetype, screen, workflow, etc. schemes.

Very convenient for JIRA admin role. Cheers.

1 vote
Bryan Partridge July 29, 2019

It helps with Filters.  Great way to 'group' projects so that a filter will (easily) apply to multiple projects:  For example, all unassigned issues across multiple projects that belong to the same category.

Instead of:  (project = Proj-A OR project = Proj-B OR project = Proj-E OR ...) AND status = unassigned

This would become:  category = Operations AND status = unassigned

Where:  Operations (category) => (Proj-A + Prod-B + Projects-E + ...)

Hakeem January 23, 2020

Hi Bryan,

I have a similar situation here.

Scenario:

Project A = Scrum board | Kanban board. All Scrum boards represent the development work whilst kanban boards represent operational work.

Project B = Same as A 

My question is - I want to show on my dashboard information for both boards separately. 

Thank you.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2020

You might struggle with this - boards do not have to match projects, and hence you may have several issues from different categories.

You will need to look at each board you want to report on, and use its filter in a dashboard gadget (unless you can pull up some commonality that makes a filter easier)

Like # people like this
Hakeem January 24, 2020

You have just validated my thoughts. I wanted to know if there is a better way of doing this. 

Thank you so very much.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
1 vote
Peter Fitzpatrick June 6, 2018

I use "Project Category" to differentiate our programmes, This then feeds into my Power BI report which can filter our projects by programmes. Thus providing my organisation with an easy way to get granular data (how many issues open/closed per programme/project, etc.) in an easy format with live data. 

0 votes
B. TORRES March 2, 2020

You may also use it to Group your projects by Company for which that project belongs to.

For example:

Company 1

• Project 1
  • Project 2

Company 2

• Project 1
  • Project 2
  • Project 3
0 votes
Darrel Lee July 19, 2018

In our organization we Categories to group projects by Business Unit.

Suggest an answer