What exactly is the point of issue linking?

Drew May 4, 2016

Is it only an organization tool?  From what I can tell it doesn't really do anything other than tell you an issue is related in some way to another issue.  If that's the case, then what exactly is the point of "blocks" and "blocked by" since you can complete an issue even if that issue is "blocked by" another?  Etc.

I can use sub-tasks but I see those used as steps to complete a task and some issues aren't steps to complete a task, rather just need to be finished first before another issue is started.  Such as rig character first to animate next.  It could be set in a separate sprint, but even then it's possible the two being related can be completed in that time frame.

Anyway, rambling on.  Anyone know the point?

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 4, 2016

They are queryable. This means you can search issue in linkedIssues(ABC-123) or issue in linkedIssues(ABC-123,"is duplicated by") to return the list of issues that match that query.

If you want specific behavior you'd need to code it or use add-ons that have coded it for you. Atlassian has probably avoided this because everyone has bizarre and different use-cases and needs.

The Misc Workflow Extension add-on for instance has Transition Linked Issue or Comment on Linked Issue workflow post-functions. Workflow Toolbox add-on has a great many issue-linking functions and validators. If you need logic that doesn't work the way other people use it, perhaps learn a bit of scripting and use the Script Runner for JIRA add-on to traverse issue links and perform you own logic or validations.

Drew May 4, 2016

Thanks for the info.

I tried the workflow toolbox, but it wouldn't let me install on the cloud instance. I'm on the free trial right now, so when I purchase the subscription, I'll look more into making sure that can work. Looks like that add-on is what I'm looking for.

If I ever feel like I need more out of it, I'll look into coding something. What language is used? Just curious. 

Thanks again. 

Suggest an answer