What does the "Keep me logged in" checkbox do?

Andrew Kraut February 6, 2013

Is it like a crosswalk button, or the "Close Door" button on the elevator? It seems to be a placebo checkbox because while using the site (creating tickets, adding comments, etc.) I will suddenly find that I am logged out. This happens on multiple systems, operating systems and browsers.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Kraut February 21, 2013

Well, no more activity. Thanks Atlassian!

I guess the answer is, no one knows.

2 votes
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Hi Andrew,

This could be caused by several reasons, and the ones that are known to me currently are:

- Clicking JIRA links from MS Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook..etc) can cause a logout from your OnDemand instance, the fix and details are here.

- Using third party applications on mobile devices to access to JIRA OnDemand also causes logout sessions when you exit the application, as most of these applications will call the JIRA logout REST or SOAP APIs, this is because your sessions to keep you logged on is saved on the instance's server rather than your browser and these calls will log you out from everywhere.

More details can be found on this article:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ONDEMANDKB/Getting+Randomly+Logged+out+of+OnDemand

All the best

What else could be causing this? I'm not using any mobile applications and I'm not using any MS Office applications.

Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 6, 2013

Are you using any external applications to connect to your instance? any application that makes a lot of SOAP or REST calls?

Nothing that is using my use credentials. I can't speak for the rest of our organization.

1 vote
Michael Knight
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 24, 2013

The the "Keep me logged in" checkbox will set a cookie ("ondemand.autologin") that will keep you logged in indefinitely. The cookie is set to expire after 30 days, but will be rewritten when using the application. This means you effectively will only be logged out if you do not use the application for 30 days, or if you explicitly log out.

As mentioned by Razaq, there are other "gotchas" that can result in premature logouts.

Suggest an answer