What does the numbers (2) in workflow imply?

Akhil_vs August 31, 2015

Hi everyone, I am new to jira please help me with this issue. After creating a project and an issue, while viewing the issue it is showing in progress(2), to do (2). What does those numbers (2) imply and how to remove it?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nick August 31, 2015

The number for status and transition is an identifier. The reason is that there may be several transitions, for example, that have the same name but are used in different workflows.

When you see a selection list with multiple transitions with the same name it helps you to choose the correct one by id.

You cannot remove and should not remove them. They are there for a good reason.

Akhil_vs August 31, 2015

is there any way to hide it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 31, 2015

No. But only administrators see them, and we find them useful.

Like Kat Lim likes this
Akhil_vs September 2, 2015

ok i completely agree with you, but what i am trying to say is that this id must be a system generated id and as you said i cannot and shouldnt be removed. But what in issue panel, in workflow section it is showing in progress (2)? What does (2) imply and how to remove it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2015

That suggests your admins have used (2) in the name

ok Nic , I am running Jira as admin and I am in a learning phase so I am going through this scenario and I am stuck here. So any idea on how to remove it? or what may be the cause for it?

Is there any probability that Admin might have created a custom screen named in progress (2) and added to workflow?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

You've said it's appearing on a transition, not a screen, so that's where to look. Have a look at the workflow in edit mode and look at the names of the transitions

yes Nic its related to transition only, but its not appearing in the workflow diagram,but appearing in the issue panel.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

Transitions don't get shown in issue panels. I don't know what you're actually looking at.

But the transition has properties specified in (2), anyway that could apear in issue panel?

is there any way possible to share a snapshot of my page, so that I can explain it more specificaly.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

That doesn't make sense, I don't understand it. A transition can have properties, but what does "specified in (2)" mean? Where's this (2) you attach properties to? And, again, transitions do not appear in issue panels, so I don't know what you are looking at.

ok , here is it . Go to project>Overview>Issues , In this issue section we have Edit,comment,assign,more on top. Right to it I am having In Progress(2) ,To Do (2). Now what does (2) imply. Please revert if you are not getting it still.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

Attach images to an answer, then convert it to a comment.

I have attached the image file in answer section, as it was not possible to attach it here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

Ok, great. That's not an issue panel, it's the transitions menu/options. The (2) in the transitions there are coming from the names of the transitions in your workflow. To remove them, as we said above, rename the transitions without the (2)

no Nic its not related to transition name in workflow , I even tried changing transition name in workflow, but that not reflecting here.

I checked history and i came across original value and new value, can you please tell me what are those? I have attached a screenshot

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 2, 2015

Does your workflow have duplicate transition names then? What you see in the history is the change of status, and the status IDs are added to the string (because it's possible to change or delete status, so the history is trying to preserve the full history without referring to stuff that you've changed), nothing to do with transition.

i changed the transition names in workflow to different number, after that when i went to transition options, the prev transitions havent been changed, whereas the change is reflecting in workflow. I dont know how to check whether a duplicate workflow exist . please help me out here

Hi Nic , I got the solution for it. It comes when we check "allow all statuses to transition to this one".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 3, 2015

That's why I asked about duplicates - it's adding it because you have two with the same name.

1 vote
Ethan Kim September 23, 2019

Administration > Issues > Workflows > Choice your problem workflow - Edit > Transitions(id) - To do(2) click > Edit click > Transition Name - "To do(2)" to "To do" -update click

Transition  To Do 2  - JIRA.png

Update Workflow Transition - JIRA.png

1 vote

Jira 2.PNG

1 vote

jira.JPG

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

It's unique for that particular workflow step. So for example, your "Bug Workflow" can have 2 transitions named "In Progress (1)" and "In Progress (2)". If you made changes to "In Progress (1)" like added validators, postfunctions, it will only affect that transition. So, if you re-use transitions with the same ID, your changes to that transition will apply to all. The same scenario has their merits.

You cannot remove it.

Akhil_vs August 31, 2015

is there anyway to hide it, so that it does not show up in issue section workflow

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

No way to hide it. It's their for a very good reason as pointed out.

ok i completely agree with you, but what i am trying to say is that this id must be a system generated id and as you said i cannot and shouldnt be removed. But what in issue panel, in workflow section it is showing in progress (2)? What does (2) imply and how to remove it?

Bartosz Boratyński August 5, 2019

To remove those ex:(2), you can use the javascript function oraz just switch button names for everything what u want to see :) 

AJS.$button[id=button].html("your button name") something like that

Suggest an answer