What does "irrelevant" mean in a JIRA pie chart

Jason Friedman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 21, 2016

There is no link available to see which issues are included in that slice.

version.png

3 answers

3 votes
Benn Ingersoll November 21, 2016

Came across this question while looking for the answer to it myself.  Since then, I've figured it out (at least for my situation)...  

It looks like Irrelevant shows up when you have an issue type in your filter that doesn't have the field you are grouping by.  So, in your case, you must have 17 issues of an issue type where the "Raised In Versions (all)" custom field isn't available.  

There really isn't a great way to get that list of "Irrelevant issues" in JIRA (since you can't use the "Raised In Versions (all)" in your search), although you could try adding an Issue Type filter to your query and exclude any issue types where you know that field is available.

Hope this helps!

Philip Schlesinger June 3, 2019

Came across this myself:

2019-06-03 15_23_56-Phil's Dashboard - JIRA.png

The "Irrelevant" state was replaced by "Backlog" a few minutes later when I next looked at that pie chart.  Me thinks the cause was an issue was in the process of a change of Status at the time of the pie chart being rendered...so it was in an indeterminate Status.  Maybe they should call it instead "Schrödinger"? :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
1 vote
Daniel Carroza July 15, 2020

It looks like Irrelevant shows up when you have an issue type in your filter that doesn't have the field you are grouping by

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2016

It looks like you have a version called "irrelevant", but I don't know where the link has gone.

Suggest an answer