What does "Any logged in user" mean in JIRA permission schemes?

John Walker December 3, 2017

In the last 6 months, have signed up to Atlassians' JIRA Software product. 

Atlassian hosts this for us. 

I believe that means we have the *Cloud* version of the software.

I go to one of my permission schemes and look at who has been granted the right to "Browse Projects".

I can see that role called "Application Access > Any logged in user" has been granted access to "Browse Projects".

So, who exactly is "Any logged in user"? 

* Is it any one who has an Atlassian Account and is logged in to JIRA Cloud (regardless of whether they are known to me or not)?, or

* Is it any one who is logged in to the instance of Jira Software that was set up when we signed up to the product?, or

* something else?

-----

In order to understand the definition of "Any logged in user", I'd really like to know what thing is that they are logged in to. 

-----  

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 3, 2017

It is the second one. Any user who is logged in to the instance you have signed up for. They are the users created by you or one of the other administrators and are counted towards your JIRA license.

Hope that clarifies!

John Walker December 4, 2017

Thanks.

John Walker December 6, 2017

I was going to mark this as the "accepted answer". But, before I do that I wanted to know how you know this. Can you point to some place in the official documentation where "Any logged in user" is defined as any user logged in to the instance. Or somehow provide some citation that backs up the answer. Ta.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2017

I can't find a more current reference, however the term 'any logged in user' replaced 'JIRA User' in more recent versions. I found an older reference that uses JIRA User. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/jira-permissions-made-simple-717062767.html 

Ha ha. This link didn't work. Despite that. OK I believe ya. :)

Thanks.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2017

I can't seem to find a doc that quotes it either. The documentation always keeps changing. But I am pretty sure that's how it works :)

Like elliott.killian likes this
Jeff Lovington March 2, 2018

why is 'any logged in user' allowed to MANAGE SPRINTS IN ALL PROJECTS by default??

Like # people like this
Jason Carlson April 16, 2018

I'm wondering the same thing. Based on the above comments, I'm assuming that "Any logged in user" for my business and software projects are using a jira-software license and not a jira-servicedesk license.

I'm also wondering if on my non-service desk projects, if I can remove the "any logged in user" and then add the group I created specifically for that project, i.e. jira-project-name. Would this keep out those who have a jira-sofware license, who aren't in the specific projects?

Akshobhya Mann July 2, 2018

I had a similar question, (thanks for the answer!) but I want to triple confirm that it does NOT include customers in the case of service desk projects. 

Like Aida Johnson likes this
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 2, 2018

It doesn't. See https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/service-desk/pricing

Customers are free and do not require a Jira Service Desk license. Anyone can create a service desk request and you'll never be limited to how many customers can access your service desk.

Like # people like this
Akshobhya Mann July 2, 2018

Thank you!

3 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2018

JIRA works by GRANTING access. You can't restrict access. By default, it grants access to the group used to logon (used to be JIRA-users but may be different on your version).  This is where many users run into problems. They end up wanting to restrict access but the default of any logged in user grants everyone access.

1. The FIRST thing you need to do to get control is to remove any groups with logon privileges from the permission scheme unless you absolutely want everyone to have that permission.
  2. Then I suggest you setup Project Roles for the various functions like, tester, QA, Browse Only, etc.
  3. One permission scheme will cover almost all projects. The project admin controls project role membership

This may be a big effort, but it will payoff down the road by making it easy to control access

Suggest an answer