What does number Y in "X of Y" at top of sprint board column denote?

Atul Jain June 12, 2017

While viewing a sprint board in JIRA, I see different columns for different statuses, like To Do, In Progress, QA Review, Done, etc. With each column there are two numbers associated in the form "X of Y", such as "X of Y Done", "X of Y TO DO". Where X looks like the number of issues currently holding a particular status, I want to know what does number Y indicate here, because I see this number Y changing every day. I'm attaching a snapshot of the sprint board for your perusal.JIRA Query.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

You have clicked one or many "quick filters". 

The X of Y is saying "I am showing you X issues from the Y on the board, because you have chosen to hide the others"

Atul Jain June 12, 2017

Well, I'm just seeing one of the sprints that are currently running in the project. I am not sure if that's a "quick filter". Does your point still hold true in this case? If it does, I am not trying to hide any of the issues here.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2017

It depends on what you have set up and selected.  I think you've filtererd your results and the board is telling you that some stuff is hidden because of your filtering. 

My point is completely true, but there are other ways to get there. I can't tell that from what you have shown us.

Your screenshot is useful in showing us your configuration, but to answer this one, we probably need to see all of the header.  In your screenshot, we have a lot of cards.  Great, but what we need is the first line of the cards in the top row up to the menu

Atul Jain June 13, 2017

Hey Nic, I got to know what's hidden here. I was going through the documentation and somewhere I encountered the keyword "parallel sprints" and it did the trick. I triggered me to have a look at all other sprints that are existing in the project currently and as I was now some what expecting it, the number Y for every column was same in all of the sprints. This, to me now, means that number Y tells the total number of issues (across all sprints) currently falling in a particular status. I hope I have arrived at the right conclusion. Please correct if am wrong! And, thanks for your help! :)

Suggest an answer