What do you use for advanced customizations in the cloud?

DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2016

I'm a huge fan of Kepler's plugins (specifically JJupin, BlitzActions, and LiveFields). The main things I use these plugins for are:

• creating complex assignee mappings based on issue custom fields
  • creating custom workflow conditions/validators based on issue information and basic business logic
  • performing complex updates to issue information as part of a workflow post function
  • restricting edits (permission or options) to fields on screens

I am seriously considering moving my instance to the Cloud because we are reducing complexity, and would also like to reduce our TOC for JIRA. Unfortunately, these Kepler plugins are not available on the Cloud version.

Are there any plugins available on the market that work for the Cloud version that can support the cases I've mentioned above? My first other consideration was ScriptRunner, but this also doesn't seem to support the cloud.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Bascially, no. 

(Barring the fourth one  - you move "issue field edits" into the workflow and control access with conditions)

Kepler add-ons and the Script Runner are never going to be available on Cloud - Atlassian are not adding more "type 2" add-ons, it's Connect add-ons only, and they don't yet support the flexibility you've listed in your question to any useful extend.

Jamie has thought about "Script Runner for Cloud", but the support for the advanced functionality we've all got used to simply isn't exposed in Cloud yet, so it's on the back-burner for now.

I'm afraid the short answer for you at the moment is that you have a simple choice between three options

1. Throw away your clever stuff and move to Cloud
  2. Keep the clever stuff and stay on your Server
  3. Keep the clever stuff and stay on Server, but get someone else to host it (lots of experts/partners do hosting, and the usual openness - Adaptavist are one of them)
DJX
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Nic - as usual, thanks for the great feedback.

I had a sinking feeling this was the case. I was hoping there was something I wasn't aware of though.

The other option I was considering is Visual Studio Team Services, but even Atlassian Cloud has much more configuration available than VSTS.

It's a shame to see so much power going to waste. I hope Atlassian starts to change direction soon. Though, it seems they are focusing their efforts on SaaS and slowly dropping customizability.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

They are moving towards increasing flexibility in Cloud.  But in my opinion, they're not ready for the current focus on Cloud. 

Cloud Connect doesn't have the extension points we need for the really powerful add-ons that many customers need and they need data-centres in the EU before EU users can take it seriously.  There's other reasons it's not ready for serious users yet, but there's probably a short essay answer in that!

Suggest an answer