What do I need to do to get Jira Toolkit messaging working properly...?

Adam Grace March 13, 2012

Hi all,

I'm very green when it comes to JIRA plugins. I've learnt a lot through trial and error, however I've arrived at a point where nothing I do with JIRA Toolkit works.

I want to create a Message Custom Field at key points in my workflow to instruct the user on what they need to do.

I don't know the difference between the Message Custom Field (view) and Message Custom Field (edit).

So far I've;

• Installed the plugin via the plugin manager.
  • Rebooted JIRA
  • Added two Message Custom Field (view and edit)
  • Applied them to a screen (QA Pass)
  • Re-indexed JIRA
  • Applied the workflow to the project
  • Arrived at the transition where the message should appear, and see nothing.

Am I missing a vital step here, of have I found a bug. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the plugin, triple checked all my steps. Searched online for the last 24 hours.. i Cannot see the cause...

I really need help here :(

5 answers

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2012

The view and edit message fields appear on the view and edit screens as defined in the issue screen scheme. They don't appear on transition screens.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2012

Ah right. Here is the ticket: https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/JTOOL-63

When you say they won't appear on the transition screen do you mean the third screen I attached above? If so, how is this different to the way Atlassian use it in their create issue screen (see below)

1 vote
Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2012

I've already seen (and replied) to that thread. I've tried what he suggested, and nothing seemed to work.

Dave Donnelly [Sensata]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

See that now. Sorry - missed that Adam. My thread was on JIRA 4.3.4 must be something different in v5. Hope you get sorted.

No worries David. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.. others that have asked about this seem to have solved it. I wish there was a youtube video or some kind of tutorial.. I feel more and more stupid

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 13, 2012

I believe the create screen counts as an Edit screen.

I see, so techincally.. what I want to achieve (instructions during transitions) is not currenctly doable? That link above (to the Jira bug/feature request) is closed now.. :(

1 vote
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

Under configuration of the field, have you edited the default value and added your message?

I haven't put anything in there.. I didn't even know there was such an option. The default value is blank. what do I enter here?

Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2012

You click on Configure Custom field and Edit the default value. But as Joe said, you will get it working only on Edit and View screens it seems.

See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+a+Custom+Field#ConfiguringaCustomField-DefaultValue

0 votes
Jörg Lang April 24, 2012

I have the same issue.

Any update on this?

I have defiend "default value" and nothing is shown :(

Im using 5.0.2

Adam Grace April 26, 2012

Sorry Jörg, I never solved this.

Jörg Lang April 26, 2012

that's bad :( thanks for letting me know

Suggest an answer