What database table stores comments for JIRA Download version?

dms117 February 11, 2013

I'm trying to determine if a particular user made comments in our JIRA instance. Can anyone tell me where the issue comments are stored? By "where" I am refering to the name of the database table. Thanks in advance for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

13 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2013

You can read it straight off their activity stream in their profile.

Or, if you insist on SQL, look in "jiraaction". You'll probably want to join it to jiraissue to find out which issues the comments were made on.

dms117 February 11, 2013

Thanks Nic! Found just what I needed, I appreciate the assist.

Muyeen Ansar June 4, 2014

@Nic,

What else could be in the jiraaction table other than comments?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 4, 2014

Older Jira systems used to store other stuff in there, so you might find historical data from version 2 if your system goes back that far.

I don't think the more recent versions of Jira store anything other than comments in it, but I'm not 100% sure. If you've found things other than comments in there, be interesting to take a look.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2014

One might reasonably wonder why the table is not called something such as "comments". I suspect in the early days everything that wasn't core issue data lived there.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2014

If you've inherited a really old Jira dataset (as in 2.1 or lower, although you don't want to rely on my memory for the exact versions), you might find Jiraaction has history data for issues updated while it was on that version. I don't know if later versions actively copy or move the history data to changegroup and changeitem though. I just remember finding a batch of historical non-comment actions in the table!

Ryan Hoke March 26, 2015

@Nic Brough [Adaptavist], one step deeper: how do I tell from the actions table which comments were internal and which were responses to customer? Is there a table that associates the action with the security level?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 27, 2015

Hmm. I'm not sure how it works in servicedesk. In plain JIRA, the column "rolelevel" on Jiraaction covers it.

Ryan Hoke March 27, 2015

Yeah, nothing in that column for service desk comments

0 votes
Marcel Verhoeven October 18, 2018

We have a lot of people joining and leaving the projects / company so after a couple of years out of the 1500 users about 950 had been given the status "inactive".  I also struggled not being able to delete user because some comments still were associated. I did the following to resolve this (  please do this only at your own risk and make sure your environment is properly backupped etc ).

Running on postgresql i connected as admin to jiradb and just changed table entries of user 'person x' to my name 'cmadmin':

jiradb=> update jiraaction set author = 'cmadmin' where author = 'person x';

Strangely it only worked using no capitals in user name but when running jiradb=> select * from  jiraaction; thats logical.

Now you can use "user manager -> delete" to delete this user.

If this is still not working due to user being assign to a ticket or being reporter of a ticket, i have used sql search: assignee = 'person x' or reporter = 'person x' to bulkchange these issues ( change assignee -> cmadin , reporter -> cmadmin ).

Suggest an answer