What are the workflows and issue types for each of the project types?

Steve Joiner May 9, 2015

I'm trying out a JIRA+AGILE setup, and I can't find any documentation about the different project types. In particular: what types of issues are in each project type, what are the standard uses of those issues, and what is the workflow for those issues and project type?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 11, 2015

I think the reason why you couldn't find much "standard use" documentation is because there is no such thing, except in the broadest sense. No two Agile teams are alike, so the default workflow might work for some teams, but most will want to add some steps to fit their situation.

It's not really possible to give definite advice on workflow without knowing more about your business, but here's about the basic issues:

• Story: Often called "user story", this is the main issue type to describe the way a user would like to use the software. Usually written in the form of "As a user, I want to be able to do x, in order to accomplish y"
  • Subtask: This is where you break down the story into action items
  • Epic: A large story, that needs to be broken down into smaller stories, since it usually won't fit a single sprint. The JIRA Agile module has nice UI tools to help you manage your stories into Epics.
  • Bug: I don't think I need to explain what a bug is...

Beyond that, it's up to you to experiment. There is no JIRA police to tell you what to do with your issues and workflows, so you should always be willing to change to something that's working for you.

I suggest you read on Agile methodology itself rather than reading on the tool. JIRA is well-made and can be configured to do pretty much anything you want, provided you have a clear idea on what it is that you want from it.

This is a good start:

https://www.atlassian.com/agile

Good luck!

Steve Joiner May 13, 2015

Thanks. I think your answer is the right one, even if it wasn't the one I wanted to hear. ;-) I was hoping that with several different project types possible when you create a new project in JIRA, each type would have a "starter workflow" that conformed to industry best practices and had some documentation on getting started. Instead, it seems like you're just expected to just define your own workflow.

0 votes
Steve Joiner May 9, 2015

I found this question, which is similar.However, basic information is given for only two project types. Where is complete documentation for all project types? https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/228005/what-is-the-difference-between-project-types-jira-agile

Suggest an answer