What are the use cases for having New and Opened status on Jira workflows?

I observed the is quite common for people to add a New status to the default Jira workflows and I am looking to reasons why this is really needed or uneeded.

Personally, I am inclined to minimize the number of statuses, just to make Jira easier to use and less confusing.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 votes

It depends on how people are working.

I think most of us are happy with "Open" meaning "workers in the project need to do something about this", which is a logical start for an issue.

But a lot of teams have some form of acceptance or triage as well, and having a single "Open" status doesn't cut it for most. That is, they need a state before "open" which means "someone has created this, but we haven't looked at it and accepted that it needs doing". They'd then move it to "open" to indicate "yes, we should do this".

It can be useful to have this step, especially in projects with a high turnover or more "support" style use - issue comes in and needs to be authorised for work, or accepted as a real problem before a worker looks at it (or closed if it's a standard "forgot password, clicky, done by first line" or "this is not a real problem" type response). It means the developers can ignore "new" and only pick up "open" things, and it gives you a good breakdown of "how much comes in vs how much we actually do"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,886 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot