What are the rules for label visibility and label suggestion visibility in Jira?

What are the visibility rules for the "labels" field? I thought they were restricted to the project you were working in, but I can see labels from everyone who has used on in our system. This could create serious security risks if someone creates a label that a competitor in our system shouldn't see. Specifically, label "suggestions", and when filtering on labels.

I may need to turn this feature off again if we can't guaruntee keyword security between projects/permission schemes.

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer
Confirmed that label suggestions are only viewable from within a user's permission scheme.

So Hazel, were you the global Jira admin and that's how you see the competitors labels? 

Hey Hazel,

There are no permissions/restrictions applicable to labels. A user is allowed to create any labels and labels belong to a particular project.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,721 views 17 21
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you