What are the rules for label visibility and label suggestion visibility in Jira?

What are the visibility rules for the "labels" field? I thought they were restricted to the project you were working in, but I can see labels from everyone who has used on in our system. This could create serious security risks if someone creates a label that a competitor in our system shouldn't see. Specifically, label "suggestions", and when filtering on labels.

I may need to turn this feature off again if we can't guaruntee keyword security between projects/permission schemes.

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.
Confirmed that label suggestions are only viewable from within a user's permission scheme.

So Hazel, were you the global Jira admin and that's how you see the competitors labels? 

This widget could not be displayed.

Hey Hazel,

There are no permissions/restrictions applicable to labels. A user is allowed to create any labels and labels belong to a particular project.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Friday in Jira

New 5k User Limit and Other Cloud Updates

Hi all! Lauren here from the Enterprise Cloud marketing team.  I have some exciting Cloud updates from #AtlassianSummit that I wanted to share. We want everyone in your organization to be ab...

111 views 0 3
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you