What are the rules for label visibility and label suggestion visibility in Jira?

Hazel Elgart October 22, 2013

What are the visibility rules for the "labels" field? I thought they were restricted to the project you were working in, but I can see labels from everyone who has used on in our system. This could create serious security risks if someone creates a label that a competitor in our system shouldn't see. Specifically, label "suggestions", and when filtering on labels.

I may need to turn this feature off again if we can't guaruntee keyword security between projects/permission schemes.

Thanks for your help!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Hazel Elgart October 29, 2013
Confirmed that label suggestions are only viewable from within a user's permission scheme.
Michael Ellis March 1, 2018

So Hazel, were you the global Jira admin and that's how you see the competitors labels? 

1 vote
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2013

Hey Hazel,

There are no permissions/restrictions applicable to labels. A user is allowed to create any labels and labels belong to a particular project.

Shreyansh Hingar June 4, 2019

Hi Bhushan,

In my case, I am able to use labels from one project to another. Do you have any idea how I can restrict it?

Regards,

Suggest an answer