What are the detailed steps to change location of jira attachments?

Dimitrios Danampasis February 10, 2020

I want to change the directory of the attachments on Jira server (v8.5.2). According to this article, I can create a symbolic link to point to the new location, which is a separate disk partition in a network drive. My question is about the detailed steps in such an operation as they are not officially documented. In my view, there will be downtime:

1. Stop Jira Services
  2. Move attachments to the new directory
  3. Create the symbolic link
  4. Start Jira Services

The underlying OS is Windows Server 2016. So, is there anyone who did change the attachments? Did you face any unexpected issues? What are your thoughts in the steps I mentioned? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2020
Dimitrios Danampasis February 11, 2020

Hi JP, thanks for the response. I fixed the issue with the link. This is what I am going to try but I wanted to know beforehand what are steps.

Can I directly run the mklink command without taking Jira down? Do I have to move the existing attachments after or before creating the symbolic link?

JP _AC Bielefeld Leader_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Sorry, not sure on that one...

I would shutdown Jira before setting the link.

Best

JP

Dimitrios Danampasis February 13, 2020

Thanks for the reply, I mark this as the accepted answer even though I haven't tested it yet. I anticipate though the operation would require downtime and moving any existing attachments to the new location before creating the symbolic link

Suggest an answer