What are most used DBs for JIRA?

Adolfo Casari
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2015

I would like to know if there is any poll about what are the most used DBs for JIRA? Postgres? MySQL?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 16, 2015

Difficult to say, as that information is not gathered by Atlassian (they may well ask, but it's voluntary and ignored).  

You could ask them about stats for "database usage you see in your support calls", as they do ask when you raise a call, and there's no reason for someone asking for help to lie.   But I suspect that would not really be representative, because some databases are better (for JIRA) than others, so the flakier ones would result in more support calls, and hence skew the figures.

In my experience though, MySQL is top of the list, with PostGreSQL in a close second place.  Oracle is a distant third, with MS-SQL close behind it.  But I've been deliberately vague there because most of my experience is in large corporate environments.  There could be a very different pattern in smaller users, not-for-profit places, single-product development organisations, government bodies etc etc etc.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2015

1. I would agree: I see MySQL constantly. 2. I hear a lot of customers use PostGresSQL and I'd like to move there myself. 3. Oracle I've only dealt with one customer who used 4. Never seen Atlassian products on MS-SQL.

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 27, 2015

Hey Adolfo,

Out of my experience so far

• It used to be mysql/postgres.
  • But,Now a days most of them are inclining towards PostgresSQL

Suggest an answer