What Status category would deferred, Won't Fix and Invalid issues fall in?

Deleted user November 9, 2017

I am trying to add a few new statuses to JIRA for bugs raised internally, as well as for customer support issues. However, I am not sure which category to map these statuses to.

1. Deferred: We will not fix this immediately, but will consider fixing this in future

2. Won't Fix: The issue cannot be fixed

3. Invalid: This is not an issue, but was interpreted wrongly as one

As I understand, I cannot modify the existing list of status categories. Any workaround?

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

The status categories are quite clear and there isn't really anything they don't cover. 

To do:  We have not started, and/or we are going to look at it.  This covers your "deferred" - you're going to look at it later, just not now.

In progress:  We are doing something about it

Done:  We have done it, or we are not going to do it, so we remove it from our list.  This covers your "won't fix" and "invalid" status because it means "no more attention required"

Arguably, there's a fourth category, for "held" or "deferred", but then you start getting into a mess about when you're going to pick it up again.  It's far better to use to-do or in-progress for these, because, well, you are still going to do them.

Deleted user November 12, 2017

Thank you. What you have mentioned is how I have configured it at the moment. Wanted to confirm if that is the right way

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2017

Alexey does have a good point, "one status, many resolutions" is just as good an approach as " three status".  You should have a think about whether your users need three status or three resolutions here.

"Done" as a status, with different reasons (resolutions) for the issue being done, makes sense.  The issue is ended, and the users can report of resolutions if they want to look at "why it is done".

But in many cases, you want three separate status, because it's an immediate view of why an issue won't have any more work done on it.

Which ever way you are doing it now, I would not change it, unless there's a clear reason to do it to improve your reporting!

Agreed. I am trying to figure out how to define multiple resolutions for the same status

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 12, 2017

You can make a logical connection between them, but, off-the-shelf, Jira does not.  You can define any resolution you want for any status, because they have no direct connection.

• A status is where the issue is in the workflow.
  • A resolution is a flag that says "issue is finished with" and (hopefully) tells the humans why it is finished.

There is no forced relationship between them in Jira (much as I would like one, it's not there.  Making it be consistent is part of the job description for a Jira admin)

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello, 

Your statuses look like resolutions. I would make them resolutions. 

You can read more about resolutions here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/defining-resolution-field-values-802592402.html

Thank you. I see what you are saying, and it does seem to make sense. I will give this a shot. Currently no resolutions defined

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events