• Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • We have several business units within our company. Should a project center around a business unit to keep the information in a silo? I am trying to understand the future impact of having unrelated apps creating a project for each individual initiative.

We have several business units within our company. Should a project center around a business unit to keep the information in a silo? I am trying to understand the future impact of having unrelated apps creating a project for each individual initiative.

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

How do you structure this with your JIRA? It complete makes sense to have 1 Project = 1 Product but we need more info on your JIRA Structure.

It is very fluid at the moment, as we do not have someone driving the implementation.  The global instance of JIRA is ~4 months old.  At one point we had a JIRA expert -> they left -> now I see a wide array of interpretations around the company (20K employees).  I went down the route of creating a project per initiative for my business unit.  Another business unit created a single project to house all their initiatives, even though they are not related.  I am trying to figure out the best practice to determine potential long term impact.

If you create a project for each initiative, my guess is that you get a clear view around the data.  If you do not go this direction, you have a single project that accumulates massive amounts of artifacts over time and could result in convolution of data sets. 

Single project with a single objective (Law of Demeter).

This widget could not be displayed.

Perhaps JIRA portfolio would solve the problem that I am having.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

587 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you