• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • We have several business units within our company. Should a project center around a business unit to keep the information in a silo? I am trying to understand the future impact of having unrelated apps creating a project for each individual initiative.

We have several business units within our company. Should a project center around a business unit to keep the information in a silo? I am trying to understand the future impact of having unrelated apps creating a project for each individual initiative.

Jared Zafer September 25, 2015

2 answers

0 votes
Jared Zafer September 28, 2015

Perhaps JIRA portfolio would solve the problem that I am having.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2015

How do you structure this with your JIRA? It complete makes sense to have 1 Project = 1 Product but we need more info on your JIRA Structure.

Jared Zafer September 25, 2015

It is very fluid at the moment, as we do not have someone driving the implementation.  The global instance of JIRA is ~4 months old.  At one point we had a JIRA expert -> they left -> now I see a wide array of interpretations around the company (20K employees).  I went down the route of creating a project per initiative for my business unit.  Another business unit created a single project to house all their initiatives, even though they are not related.  I am trying to figure out the best practice to determine potential long term impact.

If you create a project for each initiative, my guess is that you get a clear view around the data.  If you do not go this direction, you have a single project that accumulates massive amounts of artifacts over time and could result in convolution of data sets. 

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 28, 2015

Single project with a single objective (Law of Demeter).

Suggest an answer