We have over 100 projects. Do we need to create an email address for each project so we can reply to the email to create a comment?

Nicole Ritter February 16, 2015

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2015

No.

All the standard email handlers look at the subject of the email to see if there is a JIRA issue reference in it.  If there is, they comment on the issue that matches.  They don't care about the email addresses.

The email address per project is only needed for the create issue from email, not the comment.

I understand. Thank you. Would you still follow the same setup procedures found here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email for the mail handlers?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2015

Yes, that's where I'd point you for instructions :-) You don't *need* one email per project, unless you do genuinely have a need to accept email for every project.

Thanks again. No, we just want to have our JIRA uses be able to reply to the email to post a comment versus logging into JIRA, going to that ticket and posting a comment.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2015

Excellent, then as long as they do not edit out the issue ID in the subject, then you only really need one incoming email address!

Nicole Ritter May 13, 2015

We need to setup our Incoming Mail settings in order to receive emails, correct?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2015

Yes.

Nicole Ritter May 13, 2015

That is what I thought but wanted to make sure. We are having issues getting this set up. We keep getting ConnectException: Connection refused: connect error.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 13, 2015

That means you can't reach a server over your network and/or you've got the wrong credentials.

Nicole Ritter June 15, 2015

We are trying to connect the incoming mail to an exchange server. Is this possible?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 15, 2015

Yes, as long as the Exchange server has been set up to support the protocols of IMAP or POP (not the less functional MAPI that Microsoft favour)

Nicole Ritter July 16, 2015

Thanks for the information. We have this setup now. I am working on creating the mail handler now. Is there a way to ignore email signatures when capturing the text for the comment when using outlook?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 16, 2015

There is one that can strip text off, give that a try!

Nicole Ritter October 20, 2015

I am still working on this. I want to grab everything in my email before I see *** so i am using the "add a comment before a specified marker or separator in the email body". Do i need to put '/' before and after the *** in order for it to work properly? What do i need to put in the split regex box then? I can't seem to get this to work because when ever i hit test i see my entire comment appear "Testing /***/".

Suggest an answer