We have customers who have several websites, what is the right way to set them up?

Jens_Krøyer July 28, 2015

We build websites for many customers. Some have only 1 site, others have several. What is the right way to set this up in Jira?

Right now, I have created a project for each customer. And then, I have created a board for each website. Is this the optimal way of handling this?

I have tried creating several boards for one customers websites, but every board are showing all the same epics.....

Should I create a project for each website? Or is a project per customer the correct way? And then boards per website.

5 answers

0 votes
Paulo Junior
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2015

Hi Jens,

Something that might be of your interest, in case you don't want to have so many boards, is configure swim lanes:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Swimlanes

Swim lanes allow you to have a more tidy view of the board, based on certain parameter.

0 votes
Jens_Krøyer August 6, 2015

Hi Paulo

Thanks for your response!!!

I have also found, that doing a project for each website is the right way to go.

My only concern is now, how to use boards the best way, when having status meetings. We are not a big company, so we do meetings where we go through all projects. I know I can add as many projects into one board as I like, but is that the way to go?

Status meetings are also where we can talk about sprints, what has been done, and what needs to be done.

Right now I lack a way to get the big overview. Who is working on what. Do we have any bugs we need to give special attention. How is this and that project doing. Maybe we try to do too many things at the same time.....

My point is, if we work on 5 different projects, I basically have 5 different boards to handle. Right?

0 votes
Paulo Junior
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 5, 2015

Hi Jens,

A good aspect about JIRA is that you can settle thing is multiple different ways and have  good result in all of them. From what I could read, in my opinion, if you want to manage epics apart from each other (even if they are from the same customer)  then I would suggest you to have one project for each site. This way you will be able to manage each site individually.

Cheers

0 votes

We have been using Axosoft up until now, where have all sites creates, so we can add a feature or a defect for it, assign it to a person, and get it done. This is also a need in Jira, besides the fact that we also handle bigger site builds with many issues, bugs etc.

0 votes

We also need to be able to add bugs, change requests etc to a specific site. How is this handled? Right now, I create a bug under a project (customer). Then it's automatically is added to the board I have created. Sorry for tumbling around like this, but I still can't figure out what the best way of using Jira is, compared to the way we work, with many customers who may or may not have several sites.

Suggest an answer