• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • We created a new workflow (stories/bugs) and replaced an existing one with it. Now all the Statuses of pre-existing issues are changed to ToDo. Is there a way to revert to a prevous workflow with status values being chenged to the way they were?

We created a new workflow (stories/bugs) and replaced an existing one with it. Now all the Statuses of pre-existing issues are changed to ToDo. Is there a way to revert to a prevous workflow with status values being chenged to the way they were?

Glenn Bruk April 4, 2016

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

No.

Not directly.  If you can be sure that all the issues that are now ToDo were previously <old status>, then swapping back to the old workflow can be made to put them back

But if you mapped more than one status to ToDo, then no, your task will be "go back to old flow and then correct status manually" (although bulk-edit can probably help you a bit)

Glenn Bruk April 4, 2016

Thank you for a quick response.

I am actually not sure if statuses were even mapped in the process nor if workflow was backed-up as I was not the one who done it….

Is it possible that workflow was replaced and statuses didn’t get mapped?

Bulk edit would help me if I know which values were originally there, right? And even though I can assume that most were in Completed, some of them were probably in something in between of ToDo and Complete….

If you see below it looks like workflow was reverted to the one old one yet status stayed in ToDo

Resolutionblank [ 10100 ]Fixed [ 1 ]
StatusMerge [ 10104 ]Complete [ 10101 ]

WorkflowEng_dev__revise_flow [ 20635 ]Software Simplified Workflow for Project AE [ 28948 ]
StatusComplete [ 10101 ]To Do [ 10000 ]

WorkflowSoftware Simplified Workflow for Project AE [ 28948 ]Eng_dev__revise_flow [ 35559 ]
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 4, 2016

JIRA only changes the status of an issue when it has to.  That is - when the new workflow does not have a status that is in the old, it has to change it to something, and it always asks the user changing the workflow what it should use.

So, if you had workflow like
To Do -> In progress -> Merge -> Complete
and the new one is
To Do -> In progress -> Done

Then JIRA would have asked the admin to map the Merge and Complete status to target status.  What they did here was selected "To Do" for the "Complete" ones.

Suggest an answer