We are a cloud based JIRA client and I want to see how long a story was in a status. Is this doable?

Susan Matyas-Breedlove June 11, 2015

We do scrumerfall here (or whatever you want to call it) and we estimate in hours (eeek!). We do not use the fields for capturing the hour estimates and progress in the story - as we don't totally want to follow waterfall! wink

I am seeking data to know how long a story was in a status to understand a few things about our sprints. 

• Are we estimating accurately 
  • Are there bottlenecks the data will surface
  • Are certain devs taking longer on stories then other - to see how we can better set them up for success

I have seen some plugins - but not cloud based. And I am happy to run a search seeking the dates of stories in a status - but I can't seem to figure out the right search componets.

Help me help my team! 

3 answers

0 votes
Lauma Cīrule
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2015

Hi Susan,

If you are still looking, I would like to suggest you to try eazyBI plugin. It is available for JIRA Cloud, please see https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.eazybi.atlassian-connect.eazybi-jira.

Here is an example 'Days in transition status by transition assignee' report that shows how much days issues have spent Assigned to user and in which status at that time. By clicking on any of the cells you can select to Drill through issue to see which issues are included in the calculation. Additionally you can modify the report and drag Issues dimension to rows instead of Assignees.

Let me know if this works for you or if you have any additional questions!
Kind regards,
Lauma / support@eazybi.com 

0 votes
Susan Matyas-Breedlove June 11, 2015

Thanks Jaime!  I have seen this before. 

• JIRA Charts 
    • This is kinda helpful - it doesn't tell me each stories time in a status - just an average
  • JIRA Suite Utilities
    • Kinda helpful too - The tab information is what I would like to export out or run a report on - but I can't figure out how to do that. 
  • Time In Status 
    • Is not cloud based 

Additional thoughts?

0 votes
Jaime S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2015

Hi, Susan.

I think this documentation may be useful to you:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Tracking+the+Time+Taken+for+Each+Workflow+Transition

Kind regards,
Jaime Kirch da Silveira
Atlassian Cloud Support

Suggest an answer