Way to force choice of Issue Type?

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 23, 2013

Another question (I've had a lot today) ;)

It appears our users often choose the wrong Issue Type and this is mostly because they don't think about it or notice the field. A choice is already made, though it's a required field, and they can carry on filling out the issue without thinking twice what choice was defaulted.

Is there a way to make the Issue Type default to a "choose one" (valueless) option?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2013
1 vote
daphna tsachor January 8, 2014

Same here - huge problem!! Please keep me posted when there's a solution

1 vote
Toni Mofardin September 15, 2013

This is also a big problem in our company. Anyone found any solution?

1 vote
Andrew Hancox August 20, 2013

This is a really big problem for me. We filter issue types to different teams and right now people don't pay attention when creating the issue. Having a default type of None would solve this problem.

1 vote
Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2013

Hi Doug,

You certainly can define an issue type scheme and associate it with a project, the default issue type can be set as 'None'. There is a great guide available here outlining the process: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Issue+Types+with+Projects

Thanks,

Paul

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Thanks. I do see that you can edit an issue type scheme and choose a default issue type of "none", but strangely, I still don't see a "none" in the drop-down list, and definitely not by default. I tried it across all my issue type schemes and created a new issue in a variety of places, but I still don't see any default to "none".

Paul Greig
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2013

Hi Doug,

Correct, the 'None' option only ensures the default choice is actually the first issue type listed in the Issue Type Scheme.

Doug Varn
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 23, 2013

Ok, thanks, but not what I'm looking for exactly. Again, I find people often don't even notice what type of issue they're reporting and forcing them to choose here I think would help.

Like Melody KirkWagner likes this
0 votes
Katie.Schrack March 10, 2020

I can't believe Atlassian has not added an additional toggle to disable this functionality and allow the Jira admin to force users to ALWAYS select the issue type field. 

Roel Vlemmings June 10, 2020

Me neither. I do this myself all the time. Creating a story when I meant to create a task or an epic. It's really annoying.

0 votes
Melody KirkWagner May 10, 2019

Agreed!

Suggest an answer