Way to force choice of Issue Type?

Another question (I've had a lot today) ;)

It appears our users often choose the wrong Issue Type and this is mostly because they don't think about it or notice the field. A choice is already made, though it's a required field, and they can carry on filling out the issue without thinking twice what choice was defaulted.

Is there a way to make the Issue Type default to a "choose one" (valueless) option?

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Paul Greig Atlassian Team Jan 23, 2013

Hi Doug,

You certainly can define an issue type scheme and associate it with a project, the default issue type can be set as 'None'. There is a great guide available here outlining the process: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Associating+Issue+Types+with+Projects

Thanks,

Paul

Thanks. I do see that you can edit an issue type scheme and choose a default issue type of "none", but strangely, I still don't see a "none" in the drop-down list, and definitely not by default. I tried it across all my issue type schemes and created a new issue in a variety of places, but I still don't see any default to "none".

Paul Greig Atlassian Team Jan 23, 2013

Hi Doug,

Correct, the 'None' option only ensures the default choice is actually the first issue type listed in the Issue Type Scheme.

Ok, thanks, but not what I'm looking for exactly. Again, I find people often don't even notice what type of issue they're reporting and forcing them to choose here I think would help.

This is a really big problem for me. We filter issue types to different teams and right now people don't pay attention when creating the issue. Having a default type of None would solve this problem.

This is also a big problem in our company. Anyone found any solution?

Same here - huge problem!! Please keep me posted when there's a solution

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

111 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you