Watchers not notified during Issue Create event from an email submission

William Rojas (Black Diamond) August 9, 2014

Hello,

Can somenoe please enlighten me.

Can JIRA send an email notification to Watchers during the Issue Created event for issues submitted via email?

I configured a notification scheme to notify the reporter and watchers when an issue is created. The issue is created via an email submission. (The email handler is configured to add the cc'ed emails in the email as watchers of the issue)...

The Reporter is receiving a 'created an issue' email with the Key for the new issue.

But the Watcher(s) do not get any email for this event.

There are other transitions later on in the workflow that notify both the Reporter and the Watchers and both parties are notifed of these transitions as expected.

Thank you,

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Marcus Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 10, 2014

Hi William,

As Jessica mentioned, JIRA doesn't add watchers during a "regular" issue creation, which means that the issue created via email first creates the email (which triggers the Issue Created event and notification) and only after the issue is created the watchers are added.

We have JRA-5493 to add this feature, but there's no ETA on that yet.

James King December 12, 2014

Marcus, we use Autowatch Rules for issue types that are created from email automatically generated by our various platform and system alerts, and have the same resulting problem. Your answer elaborates on the cause of the problem (the sequence of events), then links to an issue that outlines a different problem. We *have* Autowatch Rules as an option, now, or can add watchers at issue creation through the Cc field. That issue is solved for many scenarios, thus reducing the urgency of the original request. What is not working is a notification that should go to the watchers surrounding an issue creation notification. The former is a feature request, and the latter is the failure of a feature (or combination of features) to operate as expected. Even the [information provided on the Marketplace about Autowatch|https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.addon.connect.jiraautowatch] suggests that users are added as watchers, and issue creation notifications go out to those watchers. While I understand that this is in queue for future development, it needs to be escalated.

1 vote
Jessica_Moszkowicz August 9, 2014

I don't believe you can assign watchers from the issue create screen. Instead, I think the thing Atlassian would rather people do is use @mentions in the description of the issue. This will send an e-mail out to people and then they can visit the issue to become watchers on it themselves, or you can make them watchers after you create the issue. To make sure that the e-mails go out during issue creation though, you need to mention those users in the issue description. Hope this helps!

0 votes
Jeffrey Gordon December 1, 2016

A similar issues occurs with comments.  The first time a user comments on an issue they don't get an email.  However, by adding that comment they are added as a watcher and will get emails for subsequent comments/changes.

This is assuming you have "All Watchers" for various events in your Notification scheme.

Suggest an answer