Watch A Project

Dave Stewart January 7, 2014

I have a user who wants to be notified whenever an issue is created for a given project. I am sure this can be done but I do not see how from the manual. I do see how to watch a particular issue but not when new issues are added. Can someone please point me in the right direction for what I am sure is a DUH questions.

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

I had a similar requirement for a client of mine. I wanted a simple and maintainable approach that didn't require any plugins, so here's what I did:

1. Added a new Role called 'Subscribers' (feel free to use whatever name you want, of course)
  2. Added the new role to the Issue Created event in all relevant Notification Schemes
  3. Added users to the role in each project, as requested. I actually added a new group to this role, and added new users to this group instead of adding individuals to the role because it's a bit cleaner in my opinion. Feel free to use whichever approach makes more sense to you.

The benefit of this approach, aside from not requiring any add-ons, is that you can tailor the notifications that are sent to your users liking without a whole lot of fuss. The drawback is that there's no "Watch project" button that an end-user can click on. An admin must add the user to a specific role/group.

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2014

Hi Dave

The "Update Issue Custom Field " post function comes by the Jira Suite Utilities plugin. Check the compatible version for your Jira version

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.googlecode.jira-suite-utilities

If you want to auto populate the watchers field before creating issue, add the users as default value for the watchers field Under Custom fields.

Custom fields -> locate watchers field -> click configure -> select edit default value -> add the required users

Hope it helps.

Ricardo Carracedo.

Dave Stewart January 8, 2014

Your answer is helpful as well. Thank you, I am going to look into that plugin.

RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2014

You are welcome ;)

Suggest an answer