Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Want to understand how Jira project migration works

Hi, I wanted to understand if there will be an impact to target jira if any duplicate project keys are introduced during the migration process between two instances ?

Do we have any articles regarding that ? 

I'm just trying to analyze the impact to our jira instance when an archived/or duplicate project keys are introduced from a different jira instance within the same org . . 

1 answer

0 votes
Mayur Jadhav Community Leader May 24, 2022

Hi @Aisha M ,

If you are migrating from Server to Jira Cloud with JCMA(Jira Cloud Migration Assistance) and it will detect the duplicate key and will throw an error, to solve this either you need to change the key Server or in Cloud. 

Automatically it will not change the key you have do it manually.

Regards,
Mayur

Hi @Mayur Jadhav , our migration is between two data centers. So, want to understand if multiple projects are migrated and if some project keys from the source instance is archived, or is a duplicate . .  So, want to understand the impact, if the migration fails or if jira skips those duplicate projects.

Mayur Jadhav Community Leader May 26, 2022

Hi @Aisha M 

Good Morning,

As per my knowledge Jira doesn't allows to have same project key for multiple projects if your source and destination is having same key of project in both instance, it's better if you change it before migration and perform full reindex and then perform the full migration. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you