Want to prevent some groups from using System Dashboard

Dave_Harrington February 28, 2013

I'd really like to set up external customers (each has a group assigned) so they cannot see the System Dashboard - or go into Manage Dashboards and select "Restore Defaults" which brings the System Dashboard back.

I don't mind (much, anyway) that users in these groups can create their own dashboards, but the System Dashboard is pretty unique for our internal groups, and gets ugly when used by and external user.

Can this be done?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 28, 2013

I think you can do the following:

1. Copy the system dashboard and share to system administrator or internal groups
  2. Go to Administration > System > User Interface > System Dashboard
  3. Revamp this system dashboard(default) to a dashboard which can be available to your external users

For more information on default dashboard, have a read on this documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+the+Default+Dashboard

Dave_Harrington February 28, 2013

Thanks, tecken...

If I get this right - sounds like you're suggesting that I use the System Dashboard as the generic dashboard that ALL users (including external users) would see, and that internal users would then need to use the version that is shared specifically to them...

That will work - but it infers that there can't be a dashboard unique and specific for different groups. That's disappointing.

Teck-En
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2013
Hi ansky, i know it's disappointing in certain stage but i'm afraid that's the only way to do it at the moment as the default dashboard can't specify the group on it. However there has been an improvement ticket in our tracking system which address your requirements: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5866 You may watch the ticket to receive further updates on the ticket and most importantly vote the ticket to increase the popularity of the improvement so it will attract the r&d team attention. I hope it helps.

Suggest an answer