Want to eliminate one of two Service Desks. Should I create a new Service Management project?

Kel Hill January 12, 2021

Before Service Desk became Service Management, we operated two different Service Desks for two different groups of customers. We no longer have a need to separate these groups and want to move to a single project for support.

1.  If I delete the Service Desk we no longer need, what happens to the Customers who previously created their profiles in that service desk that we delete? Are those customer profiles also deleted, or do they remain available within the system with access to the remaining Service Desk?

2. If I move all of the existing Issues from the Service Desk we plan to delete, do the customer profiles move with the Issues?

3. Is it advisable to delete both of our old Service Desks and create one new Service Management project to replace both of them? My concern here is whether all new features of Service Management are available to pre-existing Service Desk, or if all features of Service Management are only active in newly created Projects.

4. Again, seeking clarification on what happens to customer profiles and access. Will our customers be deleted when the old Service Desk projects are deleted, or will they still exist?

5. If it is advisable to create a new project under Service Management, can issues be moved from the old projects into the new one and will customers still be able to see their past issues if they log in?

Thanks for any help. 

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2021

I am assuming that the service desks are in the same instance and both flow back to the same help center.  Answers below.

1.  Customers will remain and will be accessible as they are now in the other service desk.  Are the service desks public or private.  If private you will have to add the customers to the project so they can see it.  You can compare customer lists in the projects.

2. All of the issues information will be moved.  The customers will need to be added if you have it set to private. You will have to create the request types with the same field (especially custom fields) if you want everything to migrate. )  I would suggest setting everything up and then migrating some test issues.  When you move them it will tell you if any data will be lost.

3. Your cloud service desk projects should have already been converted to service management projects, you should have gotten a notification so no need to create a new service desk.

4. Will still exist.  Access will be based on how the project permissions are setup.  If private you will have to add the customers.

5.  When you move an issue it will be given a new key.  The customer will still be able to see it in the portal but under the new issue key.  If private you will have to add the customers.

Kel Hill January 15, 2021

Thanks, @Brant Schroeder for the helpful info.

We have had occasion to move the odd issue from one desk to another in the past, but I have never bothered to check whether the customer profile moves when the issue is moved. I was assuming that it must do so, since the customer is still able to access all their issues even after we move the issue in these cases. It is very helpful that the system allows links using the old issue key to still locate the moved issues. I am hoping it continues to do so even if after original project has been deleted.

Both our existing serivce desks have always been public, so customers have been able to create their own account at will. We had not turned on account/issue creation by email until recently.

I was questioning whether a new project needed to be created because when we first received the announcement that service desk was becoming service management, I seem to recall being able to see components/controls for OpsGenie, which no longer seems to be the case. I thought perhaps that functionality was now only accessible from newly created projects. We will be interested in using OpsGenie down the road.

Thanks again for your help.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events