Want to Delete a Sprint but can't find it

Kathleen Jacobs May 20, 2014

On a project, when i select the sprint drop down, i get one called "1.11" under suggested that shows as Active. I want to delete this sprint but now sure how.

When i go to the Scrum Board and Plan option, I don't see the sprint there.

5 answers

23 votes
Hatem Nassrat October 27, 2015

Figured it out!!!

If the sprint is active, I couldnt figure out how to delete it; if its a future sprint you can delete it!!! if its a current sprint you can find it and complete it. Here are the steps.

1. Create a new issue (bug, story, whatever); 
    1. Give it a placeholder name "I am using this to find a sprint"
    2. in the sprint field, click on the sprint you want to delete
  2. In you JIRA Agile Board, Under Backlog, you will find the hidden sprint
  3. If its started click on "Complete Sprint"
  4. If its a future sprint, click on the "..." and you can delete the sprint

Thats it!

Andrii_Movchan March 28, 2019

cool lifehack!

Cameron Taylor November 1, 2019

This really helped me. Thanks!

Like Wade Larson likes this
Maksim Chernyavskiy November 18, 2019

Thank you so much! It helped!

Matt Hendrickson February 25, 2020

What a life-saver - thank you!

Alex Ward February 28, 2020

Just closed a handful of sprints that had been running for 8 years thanks to this life hack!

2 week sprints are better - just saying!

Cameron Taylor February 28, 2020

Holy 8 year Sprint! That would've driven me nuts! It drove me nuts after only a month or two.

Like Alex Ward likes this
Alex Ward March 2, 2020

Hahaha suffice to say the older sprints were not in use! It was just annoying me that they were in the list of active sprints!!

Thor April 29, 2020

Cool, great for sharing!

Andrey Ginger May 13, 2020

Thanks, dude :)

Érico Scorpioni May 25, 2020

it worked

Sahar Samimi May 27, 2020

Thanks a lot for this!!

Haley Soltau October 1, 2020

THANKS!!! This was driving me nuts.

Alex Chao November 24, 2020

Thanks! Worked for us as well.

Ilya Yakushev January 10, 2021

Finally I got rid of these Sprints!!! Thank you!

Åse Nordberg February 9, 2021

OMG! Tnx!!!! 

Randy O_Neal
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2021

Solved my problem!! Thanks!!!

Szymon Sobczak May 14, 2021

Looks like it does not work anymore in 2021...

Anyone has another suggestion?

jira copy.png

1 vote
Nathanael Coyne (Boehm) February 17, 2015

I've got sprints in that Suggested Sprints drop-down in Create Issue that has unstarted sprints from a year or more ago when people played with JIRA that I've deleted (because they were never active) … how do I make them go away?

I was trying to clean them out so they wouldn't clutter up the board and to prevent me accidentally putting issues in the wrong sprint. There should only be 2-3 items in that drop-down … the current active sprint, next week's sprint and the week after's.

sprints.jpg

0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

You cannot delete the active sprint — if you want to remove it from Plan mode andWork mode, you will need to end it. Closed sprints cannot be deleted.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH061/Deleting+a+Sprint

0 votes
Subhendu Chattopadhyay
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2014

There is no direct way to delete a sprint. You can try to search all issues associated with the sprint 1.11 and then use bulk changes -> Edit -> Change Sprint to remove the sprint information.

This will remove the sprint from sprint report dropdown.

Kathleen Jacobs May 20, 2014

There are no issues under sprint. I searched for it and everything was removed. But if I go to the screen of creating a ticket, that has the sprint field, it's still under the drop down, under suggestion. (Saying it's active).

Suggest an answer