Want external user to be added as user in jira automatically without jira-users permissions

ashleyg June 23, 2014

I have a requirement wherein whenever any exteranl-user sends mail to our mailbox in jira that creates issue but we have to add that user in jira manually. We would like to get them added to jira automatically in such a way that they are denied jira-users privilege but just exist as user in jira whoc can comment to that issue and our comments send mails to theuir mail-ids without actually adding them to jira so that our jira license count is intact.

Also if this is possible with JEMH can somebody list the steps that would need to be configured in JEMH as per above requirement.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 23, 2014

It is possible to add users to JIRA via the email that is received by JIRA - Creating Issues and Comments from Email

However, if they are added to JIRA but without the jira-users group membership (which usually comes with the JIRA Users Global Permission), then they wouldn't be able to login to JIRA at all, much less comment on an issue.

As for JEMH, I've added their tag here, so they might stop by soon :)

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Hi Joe,

What i want is that for such users when they sendmails to our mailbox then jira should create them as some users or if not then do something so that they don't appear as external user in reporter.Also once this is done we should be able to communicate with them via jira issue and they via mails they receive once we comment on the issues.

Also if you see above you should be able to notice that i don't want them to be jira-users or somebody who can login to jira so that our jira license count remains intact.

Could we achieve this,If yes how?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

I think Joe has already answered that to be honest. You can't off-the-shelf because Jira creates new users with the login groups.

If you don't want that, you'll need an email handler that can create users without adding them to groups - I'm pretty sure JEMH can do it.

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Hi Nic,

That was eaxctly my question if you look at it , so how to achieve that through JEMH or for rthat matter any means you know.

0 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 25, 2014

Hi Ashley,

I have a requirement wherein whenever any exteranl-user sends mail to our mailbox in jira that creates issue but we have to add that user in jira manually. We would like to get them added to jira automatically in such a way that they are denied jira-users privilege but just exist as user in jira whoc can comment to that issue and our comments send mails to theuir mail-ids without actually adding them to jira so that our jira license count is intact.

... if this is possible with JEMH can somebody list the steps that would need to be configured in JEMH as per above requirement.

Yes, totally possible. As ever with JEMH, you have choices regarding non-interactive users:

Creating non-interactive JIRA accounts

Yes, you can create users, and set an auto-join group that isnt jira-users. JEMH will create users only with the given group(s):

1. Profile > Users > User Creation > Create users : ON
  2. Profile > Users > User Creation > Auto Join Group(s) : email-users
  3. Profile > Users > User Creation > Auto Join Group Condition : On user creation

This of course requires that the group 'email-users' is granted permission to do all the required things in the target project(s).

An advantage of creating users is you absolutely lock in issue access to actual users and groups. The downside is that you may end up creating masses of users that will need management over time if only used for a single indicent.

Not creating accounts at all

Email only users can also interact with issues without having accounts at all, JEMH does this by storing email addresses in a custom field. This scenario requires more configuration, so chew through:

https://thepluginpeople.atlassian.net/wiki/display/JEMH/Configure+JEMH+for+a+Helpdesk+environment+from+scratch

The advantage of this is that you then do not have an ever growing number of actual JIRA user accounts, all access is then through the 'default' user (Profile > User > Default reporter user name), so means you only have to setup access to the projects for that user rather than a group.

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

Hi Ashley,

This might be possible with JEMH if you let the users be created by JEMH and let them autojoin a group that doesn't have the global jira users permission but does have permission to create issues and comments.

Take a look at the JEMH documentation and play around with it on a test server to find out how you can do this.

Best regards,

Peter

Suggest an answer