WORKFLOW ASSOCIATION ERROR

James Whalen December 19, 2012

I am receiving a "WORKFLOW ASSOCIATION ERROR" when migrating to a new workflow association. Upon first receiving the error, I backed out all changes to the new workflow and attempted a "straight" migration to a copied workflow to eliminate the possibility that there was a problem with the new workflow. I still get the same error. The current workflow for an important issue type is not working (no workflow buttons are presented to the user.)

The full text of the error is shown below. I want to know more about what integrity issues might exist in the project and what actions does the integrity checker perform. Also, we have never run this before and need to know if there are any risks of running it. What kinds of changes might be made etc.

There are errors associated with issues that are to be migrated to the new workflow association.
These errors must be corrected before the workflow association can be completed.
No changes have been made to the database.

To resolve these errors, please contact your JIRA administrators. Running the integrity checker from the administration section may resolve the problem.

•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-780'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-781'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-782'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-788'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-790'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-792'.
•Unable to determine the current workflow entry for issue 'RIDMVDATABASE-793'.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
onkeldom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2012

Have you tried "Running the integrity checker"? It's found in the administration backend under System -> Troubleshooting and Support -> Integrity Checker.

You could also try to do a simple re-index. May help ...

James Whalen December 27, 2012

(JIRA-IntegrityChecker-Exception.20121228.txt) Yes - I tried but it encountered this problem. I will attach the log when I can. I will also try a reindex (but these actions might have to wait until after the holiday week.)

James Whalen January 1, 2013

I tried the reindex but that did not help.

I have received a copy of the JIRA log from our server administrator. This is a warning found in the log: 013-01-02 10:52:20,901 http-443-11 WARN james.whalen 652x6211x1 1ukouxv 76.19.225.205 /browse/RIDMVDATABASE-825 [jira.issue.transitions.TransitionLinkFactory] !!! Issue RIDMVDATABASE-825 has no workflow ID !!!

(JIRA Log.20130102.105220.txt) Here is the log from today as of 10:52 AM ET.

James Whalen January 2, 2013

Running the Integrety Check was the solution but apparently you have to run ALL parts of the integrety checker - one section at a time. Fix the issues and then move onto the next section.

Aaron Oliver January 27, 2013

I had something similar happen after I added a post-condition to the "create" transition of a workflow too soon. When I tried the workflow, it complained (presumably because it doesn't make sense to update a field on an issue before it's been created). Once I fixed the post-condition, new issues worked fine, but the ones I created to test are trapped without any workflow steps.

When I try to move them to different projects or issue types, I get the message about the integrity checker, but running that fails with an error.

Aaron Oliver January 27, 2013

Got my integrity checker error solved by using the workaround suggested in JRA-4714:

Run the "Check Issue for Relation 'RelatedOSWorkflowEntry'" check first and fix any entries that are returned.

Once I ran that, fixed the problem, then ran the workflow integrity check again, it popped up the bum records to be fixed.

0 votes

I opened a Support Issue and they asked me to send them the logs for analysis. Took a while to get the logs they requested but when I sent in the log to support, they processed it with a tool called Hurcules. It presented me with a list of errors:

I reviewed the list it sent to me and took action on the item listed as ''Cannot get schemes for null project' Error During Integrity Check'. I followed its recommendation, which was to run a different integrity check (I had only been running the workflow integrity check.) Once I did this, I could rerun the workflow integrety check.

This solved the problem and I was able to change the workflow without recieving the WORKFLOW ASSOCIATION ERROR.)

0 votes
Yilin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2013

Do you have any exception when opening the workflow page via the project administration page? Just to double check whether the workflow had been broken on the project as well.

Otherwise maybe you can firstly check whether the issue had a validate transaction id or not:

select id, workflow_id from jiraissue where workflow_id not in (select id from os_wfentry);

The query returns no results. No records exist.

No exceptions on the workflow page itself.

0 votes
vkharisma
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 22, 2012

We have a documented explanation/solution for this issue as mentioned in the link below:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/Missing+Available+Workflow+Actions

James Whalen December 27, 2012

This page could really use more detail. It does not explain the settings that might lead to this condition. Also the CLONE approach did not work for me. And running the Integrity checker has settings to chose from before launching - these would have been useful.

The solutions outlined do not work for me. The integrety checker fails and moving the issue fails as well.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2013

May be this requires analysis on the actual JIRA database. You can raise a support request with Atlassian at href="https://support.atlassian.com%20">https://support.atlassian.com and provide with an XML backup of your instance.

Thanks Renjith, I did just that. Took a while to get the logs they requested but when I sent in the log to support, they processed it with a tool called Hurcules. It presented me with a list of errors:

I reviewed the list it sent to me and took action on the item listed as ''Cannot get schemes for null project' Error During Integrity Check'. I followed its recommenation, which was to run a different integrity check (I had only been running the workflow integrity check.) Once I did this, I could rerun the workflow integrety check.

This solved the problem and I was able to change the workflow without recieving the WORKFLOW ASSOCIATION ERROR.)

Suggest an answer