Visibility of the impact of changing permissions

Simon Champion June 11, 2014

Hi.

I've inherited a poorly configured Jira installation. One of the main tasks I've had with getting it properly configured has been restructuring the permissions structure.

Due to the messy config this has been a somewhat fraught process -- I've had a couple of incidents where people lost access to something because I'd changed a permission or a group or a role and missed something.

After some effort, I'm finally getting to the point where the config is starting to look a bit more sane, but this whole process has led me to wish that Jira could tell me what the impact of a permission change would be before actually doing it.

As things stand, it's very hard to get visibility of what the impact will be of actions such as changing a user's group membership or changing which groups are listed on a project's roles.

Is there any way to get this kind of information that I've missed; maybe a plugin or something? Or if not, is it something that the Jira team would consider adding as a feature request?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 12, 2014

Hey Simon,

Indeed, I do feel that it'd be incredibly useful if we could have some sort of method to view the impact of changing permissions. I have since created this feature request here.

For now, I would recommend that you do the following on the feature request ticket :

• Vote, so that it will receive more attention
  • Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates
  • Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Please note that the implementation of new features and improvement requests falls under Atlassian's Implementation of New Features Policy.

Simon Champion June 18, 2014

Thanks for logging it. I'll keep an eye on the ticket.

Suggest an answer