View JIRA Issue without License

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

Hi,

We are currently pulling issues out of our mailbox and auto-creating accounts for the sender of the mail so they can follow up as a watcher. However we would also like to be able to mail an issue to an existing user so they have an overview of what's being done, description, ...

But we don't want the user to use a JIRA License as it's only for viewing and the user base is quite large. Is this possible? And how to achieve this?

Currently a user without a License gets a login page when trying to open an issue.

Best,

Maarten

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2013

Maarten,

You can make a project public to anonymous viewing, so people without a jira account can still view the different issue.

Just as the group Anyone to the permission Browse project in your permission scheme.

Best regards,

Peter

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 27, 2013

I'm afraid they will not agree to make our issue tracker public for viewing as it is an On Demand instance. I am able to login but as soon as I open any JIRA view I get this login window.

I guess you need an account with JIRA License to be able to view issues in JIRA?

Best,

Maarten

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 27, 2013

Maarten,

If the group anyone has Browse Project permission on you project you don't need a Jira user account to see the issues. (They won't be able to edit or comment on them)

If your company will not allow a public project for those issues you could create inactive users for the people you want to inform and add them to the watchers. You can then add the watchers in your notification scheme so they are getting informed of any important changes.

To bad you are using OnDemand otherwise you could use the Email this Issue plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.metainf.jira.plugin.emailissue)

Best regards,

Peter

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 27, 2013

Peter,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'd like to rephrase your last sentence: "To bad OnDemand doesn't support plugins from the Marketplace yet!" ;-)

Best,

Maarten

Mark Mullozzi August 12, 2020

Just a quick follow up question to this, if we do add the group "anyone" to a project, will people outside of our company be able to see all of the issues or will it only be able to be seen by users within our network? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 12, 2020

If your Jira is exposed to the internet, then yes.  The whole world can see everything in a project that anyone can access.

Mark Mullozzi August 12, 2020

Thanks Nic, it is the cloud based version so this option doesn't work for us.  There isn't any way to allow other users view access that you are aware of is there?  We don't want them to "watch" certain issues/tasks/epics, just see a high level view of everything in the project and don't want to pay for a license for over 700 employees.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2020

If you want to limit what people can see, you need to be able to identify them so you can apply the rules about what they can or can not see.  That means having an account.

You can give these people nothing other than "browse project" permission such that they can see issues but nothing else.

But they'll need an account unless you go for "anonymous" access.

2 votes
Chris Cooke Old Street Apps
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2019

Have you tried external share for Jira? It's useful because it offers a live view of Jira issues, without using up licenses, and makes it very easy to email issues to external users, while letting them subscribe, comment and add attachments too! It also gives the options of password protecting links and putting a time limit to auto-expire them too.

Let me know if this helps!
External Share board share screenshot.png

Maarten Cautreels
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2019

Hi Chris,

Thanks for taking the time to answer this very old question :-)

In the meantime we started using Jira Service Desk a few years ago and opened up certain portals to the outside world giving them the opportunity to view their own tickets.

Best,

Maarten

Like # people like this
1 vote
Steffen Stamprath
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2015

I can recommend the following plugin for Support: Issue Viewer
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/aptis.plugins.issueViewer

With this plugin, you can give each customer a view of a issue, but it only needs one support user.

0 votes
juanseph March 25, 2015

The plugin did not work for me, the field with type "Issue Viewer URL field" was not populated

Best

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 27, 2013

Grant the (fake) group "anyone" permissions to "browse" the project and you'll find everyone can see the issues in that project, without having to log in.

Suggest an answer