Very slow Gantt OnDemand - are we doing it wrong?

Christian Schade March 9, 2014

Hi - we are evaluating Gntt OnDemand for our JIRA and are curently having performance issues. We have about 40 issues with dependencies and when we try to render the hcat, it takes ages.

I am aware that this is a beta, but still....anything we can do to optimize?

regards

Christian

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2014

Hi Christian, it is very unlikely that rendering so few issues "takes ages" so I'm a bit supprised. Can you give me your Jira instance url so I'll take a look into logs and see if there's anything unusual?

0 votes
Jim Gilbert August 21, 2014

Any update on this request to address the long loading time and restrictive limits?

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2014

Hi Jim,

There is still a limit of issues (5000 for now) that can be rendered on the chart simultineusly. We have plans to review the Add-on performance but can't give you any dates yet.

You have to be aware however, that chart rendering is 80% frontend (JavaScript) task so the performance may vary depending on your browser and computer hardware setup.

Jim Gilbert August 26, 2014

Adrian,

I understand that the front-end may play into this but the ability to have the plug-in start with NO projects checked would have helped immensely. There are other comments where this request would have been useful.

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2014

You are right, it's been suggested already to not include any projects by default so I decided to add that into the Roadmap:

https://wisoft.atlassian.net/browse/GANTT-161

0 votes
Chris Verges May 14, 2014

Agreed with this. We have 15 active projects and well over 5000 issues spanning across them. Sometimes, we have dependencies between projects, too, so we can't simply "turn off" things. We really need a better way of creating project charts, such as based on a common label spanning projects or a filter query or Sprint(s) or something, with the ability to save and share those criteria like filters or dashboards.

0 votes
Christian Schade March 10, 2014

Hi Adrian, I am aware of that, but we will still have maybe 30 ongoing projects with around 1.000 issues as of today, and they cannot be archived from a gantt perspecttive either, since each project is dedicated to each ongoing customer relation. Also wasn't aware of the 4.000 issues hardstop. We are currently expanding the company and will hopefully reach the limit of 4.000 open or closed issues across 50 open projects within a year.

0 votes

Ah, that is a problem - when loading Gantt OnDemand, we currently have to choose the project we don't want - couldn't it be the other way round?

Currently we have 500 open issues and 1000 closed - archiving them will defeat the purpose of using JIRA. My prognosis tells me that 6 months from now we will have 1000 open and 2500 closed issues across 40 projects. Since each project is either linked to a customer and keeps that customer history or a project is used as a running sprint planning tool.

If 1500 issues are too many for Gantt OnDemand, that is unfortunately a showstopper for us.

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

Christian, archiving works *only* for chart rendering and has nothing to do with the rest of JIRA system. Projects and issues will still be there. As you now deselecting almost 40 projects when working with Gantt OnDemand, so I assume, you don't really need to have access to these (presumably already completed) projects and they can be safely archived. That way, you can work only with projects you want.

Jim Gilbert March 23, 2014

This too is a showstopper. The default should be all projects un-selected and not have to be archived.

Adding my vote for a basic change.

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2014

Having all project selected for the first run is not a big issue, I think. You can unselect unwanted projects and forget about them as all filter settings are remembered and next time you open the plugin page only projects you have chosen before will be selected.

There is a suggestion however, to select by default only the JIRA's "current project" which, I guess, might be a middle ground here.

Having all project selected for the 1st run is not a big issue: It is a big issue. See next question.

Are the configuration settings maintained per user?

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 23, 2014

Yes, they are!

I would then adamantly insist that the initial view (1st run) have all of the visible projects unchecked. This would avoid the long delay in cases like mine and I suspect others. Each project lead can then 'check' the projects of interest which will then be the default for them.

0 votes

Yes, please hava look at https://rubiqsoft.atlassian.net/

Adrian Wieczorek
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2014

From what I can see, you got ~1500 issues out there. Even though, you are using filters to show only a few from one project, the rest is still coming from backend and is being pre-processed which takes time. I suggest you to archive some old projects. You can read more about it in documentation here:

https://wisoft.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GanttOnDemand/Configuration

Let me know if that helped. Also, we improved the way in which chart is re-rendered after start date change so you may also notice a nice performance improvement here.

Suggest an answer