• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Very new to Jira - trying to edit workflow to go from "In Progress" back to "Open"

Hey folks.  Can't seem to sort this out based on extensive web searches.  Looking to modify workflow when an issue is being worked on i.e "In Progress" and it's determined there are other priorities and looking to bring it back to an "Open" state NOT "Re-Open" so it's as if issue was never touched.  Just getting started with Jira Cloud so detailed steps are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

Jeff

1 answer

0 votes
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Jan 15, 2021

Hi @Jeff Miner ,

First question for me would be whether you are working on a Next Gen (NG) project or a Classic one. The workflow adaptation is a bit different depending on that.

Hi Dick.  Classic.  Thanks 

Sorry.  Hi Dirk! 

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Jan 15, 2021

Excellent!

So let me try to lay this out in as many steps as possible :)

1. Go to your Project Settings and open the Workflows

image.png

2. You should see some workflows there and a little "pen" icon on the end to Edit the workflow. Once you click that, the easiest is to show the workflow "as diagram"

image.png

3. When you hover over a Status/Step where you want to transition from you should see dots around it where you can grab on with your mouse

image.png

4. If you grab on to one of those dots, you can drag it to the other State you want to create a Transition towards, When you connect the 2 dots ;-) you'll have a screen pop up to create the transition (name, transition screen)

image.png

If this is a new transition you can choose a new Name here and if you don't need a screen to popup you can just leave that on None, if you do need a popup/transition screen we can dive in to that :)

If you already have a transition going towards that Status you could also reuse one but that might complicate it a bit unnecessary

5. When you've created the transition you will need to publish the entire workflow. That should show on top of the page

image.png

6. Sit back and enjoy your work :)

so that should be the basics on how to create a transition..hope it helps? 

Dirk, you rock!  Works perfectly.  Gotta save above somewhere as I’m sure this won’t be last time I need to manipulate workflows.  Have a great weekend! 

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you