Very High disk access speeds (Jira)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Hi All

I am trying to set-up my test jira instance. However, i observe that the performance (accessing issues, doing searches etc) of my test instance is far slower than my production instance.

The re-indexing also takes thrice as much time as production (30 min as against 10 min in prod)

I performed a disk access speed and the response was very high.

My configurations on test instance (Windows VM and database as MySQL) is identical as my Production instance.

TOTALS
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
stat avg median min max
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
open 312,643 282,903 0 1,971,454
r/w 218,192 204,805 0 6,233,593
close 7,950,142 7,685,733 1 42,521,468
delete 686,339 647,251 0 4,177,542
---- ---- ---- ---- ----
All times are in nanoseconds.

I have also attached the guidelines of disk access speeds suggested by Atlassian

Below is a breakdown of approximate average speeds that can be used to grade the results.

<th>
Statistic
</th><th>
Excellent
</th><th>
Good
</th><th>
Bad
</th>
Open < 40,000 < 80,000 > 150,000
Read/Write < 40,000 < 60,000 > 100,000
Close < 20,000 < 40,000 > 100,000
Delete < 50,000 < 200,000 > 300,000

My question is, how can I improve the performance of my test instance?

Rahul

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 24, 2013

Rather than looking for similar settings, look for differences.

Also, if you are in VM, if you VM host as powerful as your production?

You can't really trust timing results inside a VM, it's all down to ticks and you can't guarantee that every tick happens when it should. Overall, the result will be fine but at a low level.... it's a bit like quantum mechanics vs newtonian physics

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

BTW, why are you going to 4.1.2? This is Jira isn't it? Surely 4.4.5 at the latest (IE7 support)

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

and have you benchmarked your MySQL?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

Because I have to import projects from another jira instance which is at 4.1.2...final goal is to go to 5.2...

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

No I have not....I just looked up on the internet what it is....

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

also networking... how do you know that something else in your test VM host isn't taking bandwidth?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

@Matthew: The test instance VM was cloned from the production VM...so it is the most identical it can get....

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

I'd probably go through the upgrade and go straight to 5.2 and do your performance testing there. There is no point fine tuning an environment that you are going to be over-writing straight away

I also count 5 major software changes going on all at the same time, it's never going to be easy to identify the root when so much is changing. Can you not do it as a migration on 3.13 to new software (DB, drivers, test env etc) and benchmark that. Then upgrade to 4.1.2, then to 5.2 & re-do the benchmarks

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

Ok, there's a whole swathe of things here.

We don't know what your hardware is. The use of VMs, while they have massive advantages, does reduce the chance of like-for-like testing being of much use. Unless your production and test VM servers are separate and pretty much physically indentical and running about the same stuff, comparing two VMs at this level is mostly useless.

Your software is not like-for-like. This is understandable as you are testing an upgrade, but it further compounds the problems from comparing VMs

You haven't mentioned which VM servers you are using. Have you read https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Running+JIRA+in+a+Virtualised+Environment ?

We don't know much about your MySQL installations - local or remote? Also on VMs? Have you benchmarked them?

One thing that will cause massive disk access on Windows boxes is anti-virus software - have you disabled that on both?

I think a first step might be to forget the upgrade - get a new copy of the live VM and benchmark that with the current software. If it's similar to live, great, you have a baseline. If it isn't the same, then you definitely can't compare them and you might as well give up. Assuming you can, then change one component at a time and re-benchmark. At the moment, you suspect it's Jira (as do I), but you have not ruled out either the database version, the database connector, the operating environment, the database server, etc etc etc

I'm not sure that jumping from 3.13 to 4.1 is the best jump either - I'd have gone for 4.0 or 4.2 myself, but I've not read the docs, so don't quote me.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

Thanks Nic for your detailed comments. I will investigate on the points you have mentioned.

Rahul

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2013

What is running on your test instance that is not running on live? What's the difference in hardware?

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 24, 2013

My SQL connector :

On production it is :mysql-connector-java-5.0.8 and

on new test instance it is: mysql-connector-java-5.1.10

Database Version:

On production it is : MySQl 5.0.67

on new test instance it is: MySQL 5.5.28-0ubuntu0.12.04.3

Java VM memory:

On production it is : 762 MB

on new test instance it is:986 MB

Jira version:

On production it is : 3.13

on new test instance it is: 4.1.2 (using test instance to test upgrade)

Suggest an answer