Versions that connect across 2 projects

KirstenManica September 29, 2017

This conversation was very helpful: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Cannot-edit-Fix-Versions/qaq-p/461703

I have not been able to create a version that I can use on 2 different projects. I can name a version on 1 project, create the same name for a version on a different project, but they don't connect, they just happen to have the same name. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 answers

0 votes

Thank you, Francis, we'll look into that.

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

Kristen, Versions are specific to a project. They will not connect in the background.

-pd

Thank you very much, Peter. Do you have any suggestions for version control across 2 projects?

francis
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 29, 2017

You might have a look at versions and component sync
https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/net.collabsoft.plugins.jira.jira-version-sync/server/overview

I never used myself, so curious about your findings

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2017

@KirstenManica, what we do here is to create an epic, tag that with the version and then include issues from the other projects.  The epic could be in either one of the projects or an entirely new project just used for maintaining version.  Try out a few different things and see what works for your teams.

Thank you. Question, let's say I have an epic in Project A, then it contains Issues from Project A and Project B. Can you only tag the epic with the version and not the individual Issues? So if  Issue 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 are being released, but Issue 2, 4, and 8 aren't, the version won't pull the individual Issues?

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 2, 2017

That is pretty much what One of my dev PMs does.  The Epic and version end up representing the same thing (the version)  all other issues are just issues and are not given a version.  You can still pull all the issues into your scrum board and then release them when done.

KirstenManica October 3, 2017

Great, thx again, Peter.

Suggest an answer