Version of HSQLDB used by JIRA 6.2

Wesley Manning July 7, 2014

What version of HSQLDB does JIRA v6.2 use?

2 answers

0 votes
Takayuki Hirota July 8, 2014
It looks like 1.8.0.
But I think that we should not use HSQLDB in production environment.
# ls -l /opt/atlassian/jira/lib/hsql*
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 641570 Jun  3 08:33 /opt/atlassian/jira/lib/hsqldb-1.8.0.5.jar

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2014

There's an underlying question here - why do you ask?

Jira shouldn't be used with HSQLDB except for a bit of development and testing. So the version of HSQLDB is completely unimportant to you because you aren't going to use it for anything serious. If you're writing stuff that actually needs to know, then you need to stop and go do it in the actual target datbase, not HSQLDB.

I want to get an idea of what I'm dealing with. From my research latter versions of HSQL are more reliable, especially 2.3. At least that's the impression I get from my limited research.

Unfortionatly we're a small company of 9 people. JIRA was setup two years a go with the mind that all our engineering dept. (4 people) would use it but it turns out I was the only one to use it. I'm the only one who does software development and it proved very useful to me. We don't have an IT guy and I don't have an understanding of databases. I'm looking into creating xml backups of JIRA and attachements now as I know it crasy not to do at least that. If JIRA dies now it'll be a major anoyance but not a great lost even to me.

I would play around witih MySql but the server is restricted access and even if I get access I'm a little reluctant to play around on an important server. So the situlations a bit awkward.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2014

Mmm, that is a bit of a bind. HSQL can, and does, fail catastrophically, and you can lose everything. Although, the xml backups you've got will at least make it easy to rebuild.

I don't think pulling out and inserting a more recent and theoretically more stable version of HSQL is worth the effort though. I'd persevere with an installation of MySQL or PostGreSQL to replace it, which isn't that hard (bit of a learning curve, but if you follow the Atlassian guide to using MySQL with Jira, it's actually "change the config files and paste in these commands" and you're done)

Thanks for the input. Something for my TODO.

Takayuki Hirota July 8, 2014

It looks like 1.8.0.

But I think that we should not use HSQLDB in production environment.

# ls -l /opt/atlassian/jira/lib/hsql*

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 641570 Jun 3 08:33 /opt/atlassian/jira/lib/hsqldb-1.8.0.5.jar

Suggest an answer