Version Report Display Configuration

Trevor Kavanaugh January 4, 2017

I recently setup a new version for our board(none had previously been configured) I added all the previously completed and incomplete/in progress tasks to the version. When I view the version report it show all the completed issues as "issue added to version" on the day I added them instead of showing them as "Completed" on the date they were completed, even though I made the version start date to a date before the issue was completed. Is there any way to change this, as we can't really see a good sprint completion summary(we are on sprint 5 not)

3 answers

2 votes
Adrian Lazar January 25, 2017

We ran into the same issue. I'd be interesting in hearing of workarounds or solutions to this ... or maybe this is a defect/enhancement request in which case it would be great to know what the issue ID is so we can vote on getting this addressed by Atlassian

1 vote
Adrian Lazar January 26, 2017

A picture is a thousand words, so here it is...

image2017-1-26 9:3:43.png

The above shows a release called "S6.0 Beta". This public release is the sum of internal releases/milestones called RC (release candidate). We started last year with RC1 and now are working on the final one called RC5. Initially we were hoping to finish one RC before moving onto the next, but may it as is we have concurrent RC work happening, RC4 and RC5.

To report project status concisely we decided that having one Version report rather than multiple is best. So we came up with the "S6.0 Beta" release, which is a sum of RC1 + RC2 + RC3 + RC4 + RC5 ... RC1 and RC2 are completed/released. This means that our work items (stories, epics, etc.) are marked with two or more fixVersion numbers, i.e.: RC4 and S6.0 Beta, or RC5 and S6.0 Beta. 

The issue is that the version report for S6.0 Beta completed story points (resolution=Done and status is "Done") graph is misleading. Majority of work (stories, epics, etc.) was not completed in January 2017 ... but along the last 9 months. Yes, the scope of S6.0 Beta was impacted when in January 2017 we added all that work to this fixVersion ... but the work was not completed in January 2017.

I hope this helps clarify the issue.

We also use JIRA 7.2.7 server with the latest updates.

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 26, 2017

I am using JIRA 7.3, and for me when I add a "Done" issue in an version then in the Version report it shows in the graph" Scope change - Issue added to version" and in the report underneath the graph it shows the issue in the list  of "Completed issue", this makes perfect sense to me. Since, when we add the issue we actually change the scope even if it's a completed issue and in the report it get's reflected that it's complete.

Trevor Kavanaugh January 26, 2017

in our case we needed to create a new sub release and track the things going into it, so it sort of makes sense why it looks like it does, I'd just rather be able to have a linear graph to show the phb's that stuff got done over time and not all at the time I added them to a version.

Suggest an answer