• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • Various JIRA Core articles state is is for business teams (non-software), but what about engineering development (non-software)? What do you recommend?

Various JIRA Core articles state is is for business teams (non-software), but what about engineering development (non-software)? What do you recommend?

Stewart McGill July 12, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: See what's possible with JIRA Core

Ask your question here...

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2016

I think that boards are so useful that I recommend JIRA Software far more often than JIRA Core. You can use JIRA without boards, but people don't like it as much

Stewart McGill July 13, 2016

I agree. The boards are a must have.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 12, 2016

Stewart, are you talking about PDLC instead of SDLC? Some of JIRA's features can be used with PDLC, but not fully. I want to pitch something else but I am bound not to smile

Stewart McGill July 12, 2016

Yes, it is essentially a Product Development Life Cycle (PDLC). In some circles it could be called a Product Lifecycle Managemetn (PLM) as well. The activities include management and change tracking of engineering (non-software) developmental activities up to the point it would be put under full configuration management in a Product Data Management (PDM) system. Does that help?

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 13, 2016

Yep, I am working with something like that. JIRA as PLM. Stick with JIRA Software.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 12, 2016

Depends on what you mean by engineering development (non-software). For example, do they need scrum boards? If so, you need JIRA software.

Check out https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwarecloud/jira-applications-overview-764478250.html for the full list of functionality offered by each JIRA application.

Suggest an answer