Vacation/Sickness Time Tracking with Jira and Tempo Plugin ... howto?

Jean Khoury August 6, 2012

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the possibilities of the Jira Plugin Tempo for time tracking in Jira. I've read the documentation but there's still some confusion on how to use Tempo's features correctly to accomplish planning/tracking of "out of office" times.

http://wiki.tempoplugin.com/display/TEMPO/Configuring+Internal+Issues+and+Activities

What's the main difference between "Internal issues" and "Activities" and when do I use them?

Where can I find an up-to-date how-to for this?

2 answers

4 votes
Viðar Svansson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 3, 2012

Internal issues were created to enable companies to track time that is in some way internal to the company. If you need to track the actual time for vacation then this is the way to do that. If you don't need users to actually log work on vacations, then you don't need to use internal issues.

Internal activities were created to enable companies to specify some high level entities in JIRA to be considered internal to the company for planning purposes. For instance, leave planning.

A common use case is to create an "Internal" project (INT) for everything internal within the company/deparment.

Then, you can define a component in INT that is called "Vacation" and mark that component as an internal activity. Now, users can go into their timesheet and create their vacation scedule by planning on the Vacation activity.

If you also want to track actual time that goes into out of office then you can require users to log work before they leave or when they come back. You can do this by creating an issue (INT-1) that you specify as an internal activity. A plus would be to use the Vacation component. This way you track separately vacations for different seasons/teams/whatever you need.

tomc January 9, 2013

Hi,

What about the time period worked/required statistics while using internal activity for vacation planning?

An example:

In January, while 7.5 hours per day is required, one must work 165 hours.

That person plans vacation (Internal Activity) for one week and it is accepted. Period time statistics for that person will look like 127,5/165, even that one week(37,5 hours) was planned vacation. Is there possibility to configure the required work amounts in a way that planned and accepted out of office times are taken awau from required total?

In the example case, worklog for one should be 127,5/127,5, if one agreed week was for vcation and 165/165 for another person who did not have vacation.

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2013

In that case the employee should log the vacation time after he has been on the vacation. This makes it clear how much of the planned vacation was utilized.

Eduardo Heil June 5, 2018

I agree with @tomc!
I would like not to have to log time spent on vacation/sick day, as it was already registered in planning, the user has double work for an activity not work-related. It should work as holiday works.

I would like to know if there is an update on this since this topic is from 2013.

Thanks!

Like # people like this
0 votes
Claus January 10, 2013

Based on vacation Planing I have some Problems / Questions:

* I want to plan vacations - they should be approved by a higher level personel

> That will work with tempo like I saw.

* Now this Person will leave on vacation like planed and I want to do something like "use complete plan" and "Log Work" like this plan -> this won't work acutally. I have to do this manually for every week. (Why wont use the button and do a Log Work on this ... ?)

* Next: If I want to change my plan -> mabye move planed vacation for a week -> I have to delete every single entry on a day by myself. There is no Bulk delete.

* My Current Sollution is:

Plan on Components finally Log Work on Issue (Internal Project)

Viðar Svansson [Tempo]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

There are a few improvements that can be made to make this easier for you that are on our list. Like bulk delete deleting worklogs and log work for a planned time.

Suggest an answer