Using string functions with Project Automations from codebarrel

I am working with a field that contains the summary of multiple linked issue using the {{destinationissue.summary}}, which returns the summary of the linked issue. 

I have linked issue types of "Assigned" and "Unassigned". 

The assigned link type populates a sing line text field using the 
{{destinationissue.summary}}

It also adds to the field if more than one issue with assigned is used, by using this code. 

{{destinationIssue.summary}} {{issue.fields.Computer Name}}

The issue is when I link a computer with the link type "Unassigned" I need to remove the summary from the single line text. I was trying to use the string manipulation functions, but I do not know if you can use smartvalues as the parameter for the function. Like this

From their help pages:

{{issue.summary.remove("l")}} returns Heo Word!

I was trying this hoping to grab the summary of the issue I just linked and remove it from the custom field of "Computer Name":

{{issue.fields.Computer Name.remove({{destinationIssue.summary}})}}

I am guessing I cannot add smart values to the parameters passed to the function. Is that right? 

1 answer

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote
Andreas Knecht Community Champion Dec 13, 2017

Hi Russell,

Yes that's correct. You can't currently use smart-values as parameters like this.

We don't really support this use-case currently. 

Cheers,
  Andreas

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 18, 2018 in Jira

What modern development practices are at the heart of how your team delivers software?

Hey Community mates! Claire here from the Software Product Marketing team. We all know software development changes rapidly, and it's often tough to keep up. But from our research, we've found the h...

21,126 views 2 7
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you