Using story points to estimate stories and sub-tasks

Eshan Salpadoru November 12, 2017

Hi All,

I understand we should be use story points and user story level. But because of our set up, user story don't get closed until the stories are deployed to production. As this doesn't sufficient indicate the actual velocity, we are also using story points in sub-tasks which gets closed after QA. 

Conceptually, this is a problem as we not have to maintain story points at both story and sub-task level. 

- Is there a way to configure the velocity/burn down charts to base the calculations off of the status (e.g. "Ready for Prod") instead of the story having to be Closed?

- Is there a way to automatically update the total story points in a story that is the sum of the story points in sub-tasks?

Or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks

Eshan

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 12, 2017

If you don't want to start coding stuff, then the answer is simple - Jira Software does not handle any estimation on sub-tasks in any useful way, so stop doing it and estimate at a story/issue/task level only.

If you are ok to install add-ons and/or code through stuff, then set up a new field to hold the *entered* estimates on sub-tasks, and code your rules so that they feed into calculated estimates on their parent issues, and use the calculated field for Scrum and Velocity.

(Note, I say "your rules" because I've seen at least four different ways to approach estimating sub-tasks, and I suspect that's why Atlassian have not done it - there's no (easy) way to code for all cases)

Suggest an answer