Using scriptrunner's expression for fields with dashes in their name

Tiago Fernandes November 21, 2017

I'm using scriptrunner's issuefunction expression to compare two custom date fields in a jql. Example: issueFunction in expression("", "dateField1 < dateField2"). I'm having trouble when one of the custom fields have a dash in it, scriptrunner doesn't recognize the name of the field. When a field is called "date field 1", writing datefield1 on scriptrunner works. When a field is called "date - field 1", writing date-field1 on scriptrunner does not work.

Is there a particular way to escape dashes for custom field names in that situation?

3 answers

1 vote
Joshua Giffen May 11, 2021

issueFunction in expression("", "date - Field1 < date - Field2")

I was able to get a similar query working by using the customfield_##### reference instead of the customfield name.

issueFunction in expression("", "customfield_10600 < customfield_10601") 

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2017

Hello, 

Try to write it like this

issueFunction in expression("", "\"date - field 1\" < dateField2")

Tiago Fernandes November 22, 2017

That seems to result in an "java.lang.ClassCastException: null" error. I also tried it with system fields to make sure it wasn't an issue with the custom fields, the query

issueFunction in expression("", "\"updated\" < created")

results in that error, while if I remove the escaped quotes

issueFunction in expression("", "updated < created")

it works fine, returning zero results without any error.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 22, 2017

Yep, I guess it treats is as a string not as a field name

Like Efrain Luna likes this
0 votes
Konrad Sass December 31, 2018

Hi, I'd like to second the question. I have exactly the same issue. I want to compare two custom fields with dates

While:

issueFunction in dateCompare("", "Date of deployment INT > Date of deployment UAT")

works fine, similar field but different environment crashes:

issueFunction in dateCompare("", "Date of deployment INT > Date of deployment PRE-PROD")

with an error:

Field name: Date of deployment PRE not found or not a date or datetime.

Is there any way to overcome that?

david_parry February 13, 2019

Could it be because you have "-" in your field name? Maybe quote escape so it doesn't attempt to parse the hyphen as a "minus" operator?

e.g.

issueFunction in dateCompare("", "Date of deployment INT > \"Date of deployment PRE-PROD\"")

Then the parser should treat Date of deployment PRE-PROD as a a single entity rather than "Date of deployment PRE" <minus> "PROD"

Suggest an answer