Using crowd directory with more than one Jira instance (each of which has different user license)

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 21, 2014

Hi guys,

I've never been able to figure this one out. Let's say I have a user directory in crowd that has 700 users. A group in that directory has 10 users.

Okay -- now I have 2 Jira instances, one with a 500 user limit, the other with 2000. I don't care (in fact I want) all 700 to be in the 2000 user jira. But I want only the 10 users from this particular group in the directory to apply to the other Jira. With me so far?

Right -- so in Crowd, for the application where I only want 10 users, I add the directory, mark all users can authenticate as false, and specify the group with the 10 users I want.

The use case here is for a handful of users to have internal access rights, but everyone to have external access rights. (We acquired a company, and are absorbing them into our environment).

Unfortunately, when I sync my internal Jira instance (the 500 user one) -- it pulls in all users towards my license, exceeding my limit. It's pretty much saying to me -- "Yeah, I don't care that you specified that you don't want everyone to authenticate -- I am adding them all. Enjoy!"

-- these users are local, not ldap

Is there a way to accomplish this? Seems to me I should be able to dictate which users can authenticate to my applications, regardless of directory.

Anyway -- there you go. Frustrating situation. I know I could create the users in a separate group or directory, but I don't feel like I should have to. That's wasted replication of effort. ;)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Caspar Krieger
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 22, 2014

There's no nice way to accomplish that, short of some custom development or separate directories / groups as you mentioned. The set of constraints leading to this unfortunate situation is that

• connected applications (JIRA) may still need to "see" users who cannot authenticate (e.g. disabled users who have left the company but created issues), so Crowd can't sync a subset of users
  • connected applications themselves decide which users count towards the license limit, generally without checking whether each user can authenticate to Crowd or not (e.g. based on group membership)
  • Crowd has no way to only expose a subset of users for syncing to a connected application

So yep, the cleanest work around is probably to get each JIRA instance to use separate "user can use JIRA" groups.

Bryan Karsh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2014
Thanks - at least I now know I wasn't going crazy. ☺

Suggest an answer