Using a SQL Server DB for trial can we just point purchased JIRA on different server to the same DB we used for trial?

Joanne March 4, 2015

The database server stays the same - we are just installing the purchased JIRA which is the same version as the trial but on a different server.  So can we just point the new installed JIRA to the DB without any backups/restores etc?  I can only see in the doc that you must connect JIRA to an empty DB so just clarifying...

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2015

No.  Although you can just point the new server at the old database (bearing in mind you must have stopped the trial server before starting the new one), there's another step.

JIRA has a load of local files which you need to copy as well - the contents of the home directory.  You could get away with just copying the attachments out of there, and effectively rebuilding, but your best bet is to copy the whole home directory over to the new server.

Joanne March 4, 2015

ok, so I need to re-install the purchased JIRA on my new server, copy the \home\ directory over (stopping trial server) and then just point the DB to the already used trial DB? I do not have to re-create DB in another schema and then backup/restore into it? Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2015

Correct! The only other thing I would note: 1. Make sure the versions of Jira are identical (i.e. if the trial is 6.2.3, then use 6.2.3 for the new one. And upgrade it as a separate task after you're happy with the move) 2. The licencing may go a bit funny - don't panic, use a dev licence (from your my.atlassian.com account) or a trial - neither of those will affect your data, you can use them to get it working, then just paste in a new licence key when you've got it all working

Joanne March 4, 2015

Versions should be identical so hopefully no issue 1/2 then. Thanks for your quick response - appreciate it!

Suggest an answer